none
MDT 2013 uses imagex rather than DISM, to capture and apply images, for Windows 8 & 8.1

Question

• We're using MDT 2013 to build a Windows 8.1 image, and we're trying to determine whether or not we should be using DISM to capture or apply the image.

According to popular belief, as well as some official Microsoft documentation, ImageX is deprecated with Windows 8; you should use DISM instead. (http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh825236.aspx)

However, when using MDT to capture and apply imagex, even with Windows 8 and 8.1, it appears to still use imagex, not DISM. You can see this by looking at the LTIApply.wsf and ZTIBackup.wsf scripts. 

In my experience, imagex seems to work fine when creating and applying images for Windows 8 and 8.1, but I'm having a hard time ignoring the official documentation from Microsoft that seems to urge you to discontinue using imagex, but their own product still uses it.

Thoughts? Does anyone have any additional details on how imagex and dism differ when it comes to applying and capturing images? Should we discontinue using MDT 2013 to create Win8.1 images, as it's using the wrong tool? I'm guessing it's just a consolidation of many tools into one, but - does the latest DISM for Windows 8.1 include newer components of imagex than the standalone imagex tool does?

Friday, November 08, 2013 4:24 PM

Answers

• Dism.exe and ImageX.exe don't actually do any imaging by themselves. Instead... They call the wimgapi.dll libraray. Someday ImageX.exe will disappear, and when that happens, MDT will need to be changed, in the mean time, this does not matter.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:26 PM

All replies

• Dism.exe and ImageX.exe don't actually do any imaging by themselves. Instead... They call the wimgapi.dll libraray. Someday ImageX.exe will disappear, and when that happens, MDT will need to be changed, in the mean time, this does not matter.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:26 PM
  • This was my gut feeling, but I couldn't find the documentation to back it up. There's a lot of mis-information on the web, many people believe imagex is incapable of handling Win8+.

Thanks!

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:28 PM