none
Data Protection Manager stop working after Windows updates

Question

• One of my DPM 2012 SP1 servers, which isn't connected to the internet, stopped working after some Windows updates.

After troubleshoot, I found the KBs will cause SQL Reporting to stop working.  Once SQL Reporting Service stopped, DPM services stopped as well.

KB2661254

KB2677070

KB2813430

KB2868725

KB2868626

KB2862966

To resolve the issue and get DPM to run again:

• Uninstalled the above KBs
    • Reboot the DPM server.  SQL Reporting Service and DPM services will start.    
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM does not depend on SQL Reporting Services before it can start, but perhaps whatever was effecting SRS was also effecting DPM.

Were there any errors in the event logs that would explain why the services would not start ?

Can you isolate which KB causes the issue by installing them one at a time ? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Those are the isolate KBs.  I know after uninstalled those KB - I was able to start both SQL Reporting and DPM server services.  I first face this issue after our one of monthly Windows updates.  I contacted Microsoft support, they isolated a KB (listed above) that caused the issue, particular to DPM server not connecting to internet.  Over the time (after many Windows updates), I have compiled the isolated the above KBs that caused my particular DPM server to stop working.  

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:07 PM