none
Unstable VPN connection

Question

• My VPN Connect is not stable. If I create a new Microsoft VPN server on my Windows7 machine, I can connect to the first time. When I close the link down from my iPad or other tablet, it happens many times that I can not reconnecte. If I go into the Windows7 machine and delete VPN server and create a new one, so I can Again connecte. It is not so convenient when I under normal circumstances is remote and takes over my Windows7 via VPN.
    I have a feeling that my Windows7 remember something, which then causes it not to accept the next connection. Does anyone know this problem and is there asolution to it.

Hardware information:

Standard Microsoft VPN server is installed on a Lenovo X220 with Windows7 Professional SP1 (32- Bit).
    VPN server is installed with default settings. So there is no change in the IPv4 and IPv6 settings. I am aware of any change in IP address by DHCP.
    The machine has an Intel 82579LM Gigabit network card. Under the advanced settings are all necessary settings for WOL enabled .
    The machine is directly connected to my router with a cable .
    The machine is constant with 220 V power supply on .
    My router ( Zyxel P- 2601HN -F1 ) has PPTP ( 1723 ) port forward to my Lenovo machine.
    The router also has WOL port forwarding on port 9
    Remote start (WOL ) of the machine, works every time sending a magic packet .
    VPN client is either standard VPN client on my iPad or standard VPN client on my tablet Denver .

I'm thinking that there might be an option for the network adapter that can make a difference in the machine (VPN server ) accepts reconnect . It is also possible that one or another table not being cleaned when I close the connection from the outside. Unfortunately it is a little beyond my knowledge to figure it out .

• Edited by jlund6 Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:00 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As I known, you cannot stay connected 24 hours a day, the server will disconnect you after some time period of inactivity.

Sometimes, VPN cannot be established because of the unstable network, you also need to check whether the connectivity between you and remote vpn server is unstable. You may utilize Ping command to check it out.

You may also disable software firewall, in case the firewall is blocking with your VPN connection.

Here is some common VPN issues for you reference.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958057.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:31 AM