none
Outlook 2010 freezes the same time each day

Question

• I have a customer running SBS 2011 with 3 PC's connected to the server via a gigabit backbone. All the PC's are running Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft Office 2010 Professional.  The server and the PC's have the latest updates loaded and Microsoft Office has been recently updated to Service Pack 1. The customer uses Exchange Server 2010 to manage the company emails.

For the last 3 weeks all the users on the network have been experiencing a freezing of Outlook everyday between approx 13:30 and 14:30. The rest of the time Outlook works fine.

I carried out a number of tests including running Outlook in Safe mode, re-booting the PC’s just before the event and while logging in, press and hold the Shift key to give a relatively pure Windows instance. I checked the processes on both the PC’s and the server before and after the event and found nothing. Suspecting it may be the Office service pack which was installed on all the PC’s automatically at about the same time the problem occurred, I uninstalled the service pack, this did not help either.  I then suspected the problem must be at the server end so I checked the server logs and events without anything.

Has anyone experienced this problem, can anyone help in trying to pinpoint the culprit.

From Squashbertie Forum Link

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• Occuring at the same time everyday and affecting everyone, leads me to believe something is scheduled on the server to occur at that time

First, tell us about your hardware:
    How much RAM?
    Hard Drives?  SATA?  SAS?  IDE?  Raid? (software or hardware?)
    How are backups being done?   SBS built in back up or 3rd party?   When does back up run?
    Other software installed on the server?

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

I have a customer running SBS 2011 with 3 PC's connected to the server via a gigabit backbone. All the PC's are running Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft Office 2010 Professional.  The server and the PC's have the latest updates loaded and Microsoft Office has been recently updated to Service Pack 1. The customer uses Exchange Server 2010 to manage the company emails.

For the last 3 weeks all the users on the network have been experiencing a freezing of Outlook everyday between approx 13:30 and 14:30. The rest of the time Outlook works fine.

I carried out a number of tests including running Outlook in Safe mode, re-booting the PC�??s just before the event and while logging in, press and hold the Shift key to give a relatively pure Windows instance. I checked the processes on both the PC�??s and the server before and after the event and found nothing. Suspecting it may be the Office service pack which was installed on all the PC�??s automatically at about the same time the problem occurred, I uninstalled the service pack, this did not help either.  I then suspected the problem must be at the server end so I checked the server logs and events without anything.

Has anyone experienced this problem, can anyone help in trying to pinpoint the culprit.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:28 PM
  • The server hardware is a Proliant ML110 Intel® Xeon® processor X3430 Quad Core - 16Gb RAM Sata Drive 250GB - no raid.  The backup is done using the SBS built in software and it runs at 11pm each night backing up to external hard drives.  The third party software installed is AVG 2012 Business Edition Which is scheduled to run at 20:00 every day and Printer software for Sharp MX C311 and HP Laserjet CM1312.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:12 PM
  • I think I'd set up Perfmon to see what's going on

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

The server hardware is a Proliant ML110 Intel® Xeon® processor X3430 Quad Core - 16Gb RAM Sata Drive 250GB - no raid.  The backup is done using the SBS built in software and it runs at 11pm each night backing up to external hard drives.  The third party software installed is AVG 2012 Business Edition Which is scheduled to run at 20:00 every day and Printer software for Sharp MX C311 and HP Laserjet CM1312.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I will run Perfmon and post the results.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:57 AM