none
Symantec Netbackup job fail due to EXCHANGE consistency check failure

Question

• Hi, 

I Have exchange 2007 in CCR mode. WHile taking backup of one of DB, i am getting consistency check failure errors and i am unable to perform backup of that specific DB. Following events are logged:

Event ID 403
    Instance 1: The physical consistency check successfully validated 2228698 out of 42223796 pages of database '\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy38\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\abcDB\abcDB.edb'. Because some database pages were either not validated or failed validation, the consistency check has been considered unsuccessful.

Event ID 401
    Instance 1: The physical consistency check has completed, but one or more errors were detected. The consistency check has terminated with error code of -106 (0xffffff96).

How to fix this consistency issue, the DB is around 400 GB. 

Hasan

Friday, July 19, 2013 6:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

There is a blog that states the issue is by design.

Backups fail due to consistency check failure

http://blogs.technet.com/b/timmcmic/archive/2012/03/29/backups-fail-due-to-consistency-check-failure.aspx

Here is the thread for your reference. (Note: This is the support from symantec, so we will not responsible for this if there is any problem)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136986

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hello,

There is a blog that states the issue is by design.

Backups fail due to consistency check failure

http://blogs.technet.com/b/timmcmic/archive/2012/03/29/backups-fail-due-to-consistency-check-failure.aspx

Here is the thread for your reference. (Note: This is the support from symantec, so we will not responsible for this if there is any problem)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136986

Cara Chen

So there is no solution? As symantec is not performing backup because of that. 

Hasan

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Hasan,

I would read the article carefully to make sure it applies to your situation.

You have error ID 403 - which is the same in the article.

But you also have 401 which is not mentioned (maybe it was simply not mentioned).

On the other hand, do you have error ID 36 about storage space???

Time:     1/9/2012 12:40:56 PM     
    ID:       36      
    Level:    Error      
    Source: volsnap      
    Machine:  server.company.com      
    Message:  The shadow copies of volume F: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

If you determine that this IS the problem, then you can use the vssadmin cmds listed at the end of the article to determine and if necessary adjust the storage space.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Hasan,

I would read the article carefully to make sure it applies to your situation.

You have error ID 403 - which is the same in the article.

But you also have 401 which is not mentioned (maybe it was simply not mentioned).

On the other hand, do you have error ID 36 about storage space???

Time:     1/9/2012 12:40:56 PM     
    ID:       36      
    Level:    Error      
    Source: volsnap      
    Machine:  server.company.com      
    Message:  The shadow copies of volume F: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

If you determine that this IS the problem, then you can use the vssadmin cmds listed at the end of the article to determine and if necessary adjust the storage space.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

No i dont have ID 36 error. I cant see it anywhere. I am suppose to see it in application logs whcih i can't. 

Hasan

Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Still waiting for some answer. Symantec is putting everything on Microsoft. 

Hasan

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:56 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for delayed response.

Please try to use Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager to check the result.

Cara Chen

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:24 AM
  • If the database file is inconsistent, you don't want to take a backup of it. The file is bad. If you can fail over your passive and backup from there, you should. If backup doesn't fail from your other copy, reseed the copy that's failing as part of backup. The file got corrupted and you don't want live users on it.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:24 AM