none
SBS 2003 no internet connectivity

Question

•  Hello Everyone,

I have a SBS 2003 and ran about 15 crytical updates last night and the server lost connectivity to all of the pc's and the outside IE Gateway. This is what I have done so far.

1. cannot ping the linksys firewall or ISP modem.

2. can not ping the gateway

3. all of the internal pc's can see each other but cannot see the server. The server also cannot see any of the pc's.

3. I can not ping the server or reach it via IP from any of the pc's.

4. I added a static IP's and 8.8.8.8 Public DNS to the pc's and I can get to the internet. Which tells me its not a router or modem issue. However I was not able to get to the outside when adding 8.8.8.8 Public DNS to the server

5. I swaped the cabling on the router to a know good port and swaped out the network cable and tested the network plug with a laptop and the cable an jack tested good.

6. I purchased a new nic card and still get the same thing. 20 or so packets sent and even lower recieved. WELL I have 3000 recieved and 20 sent. Compared to the pc's at a few hundred thousand.

7. I restarded the DHCP Client and server services, DNS Services and all exchange services. Reboot the server after restarting each service.

8. i also removed all of the updates and rebooted the server.

Bottom line, nothing can reach the server and the server cant reach anything outside. The even viewer is also clean.

Is there a hung service that I am not seeing? HELP HELP

jce122672

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi jce122672,

Thanks for posting here.

Is this a singlehomed or mulitihomed Small Business Server 2003 ? could you show us the topologic?

Have we also installed any security software which from third parties on this SBS host ? could you also verify the KB number of the hotfixes we recently  installed ?

Loss of Internet Connectivity After Installing 951748 and 951746

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/07/11/loss-of-internet-connectivity-after-installing-951748-and-951746.aspx

Meanwhile, could we try to correct current SBS network with the built-in wizards ?

http://www.sbs-rocks.com/sbs2k3/sbs2003-6.htm

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jce122675 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:24 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 4:44 AM
  •  Security software yes. TREND MICRO out of all things. I unsnstalled it over six months ago but no one had th emaster pw for removal. i called Trend Micro and they had me run a bach file that partially removed Trend. I ended up calling Microsoft since I get free support for the network being crytical down.

Below is what we had done to resolve the issue. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS.

>> Clients were able to ping server in safe mode with networking and vice-versa was true too.

server was not able too ping or be pniged

>> Disabled all third party services.

>> Uninstalled Trend Micro even from registry manually and also by its uninstaller utility

REVO UNINSTALLER.

>> Removed ghost entries for trend micro from device manager.

>> Diagnose internet was working fine on server in safe mode with networking with 8.8.8.8 as DNS IP.

>> We found that the IPSEC was lockdown.

>> Disabled ipsec from service.msc and rebooted the server.

>> Able to connect to the internet successfully.

jce122672

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:02 PM

All replies

• Just starting from the basics:  look in Device Manager and make sure the NIC in question is showing normally, with no yellow bang or red X.  Check the System and Application logs for any errors since the last reboot, and deal with any you find or post back with questions.  Check Services to make sure that all services set to start automatically are running (except for performance logs and alerts, which does its thing and then stops). 

If you don't find anything in the logs, device manager, or services, I'd re-run the CEICW. 

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Make sure that you have the correct drivers for the NIC installed

Once you have done that Run CEICW (Connect Email Internet Connection Wizard) from Server manager and let the wizard configure the Network settings for you.

Mohammed Sabir -------------- Microsoft WSSG

Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Hi jce122672,

Thanks for posting here.

Is this a singlehomed or mulitihomed Small Business Server 2003 ? could you show us the topologic?

Have we also installed any security software which from third parties on this SBS host ? could you also verify the KB number of the hotfixes we recently  installed ?

Loss of Internet Connectivity After Installing 951748 and 951746

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/07/11/loss-of-internet-connectivity-after-installing-951748-and-951746.aspx

Meanwhile, could we try to correct current SBS network with the built-in wizards ?

http://www.sbs-rocks.com/sbs2k3/sbs2003-6.htm

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jce122675 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:24 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 4:44 AM
  •  Security software yes. TREND MICRO out of all things. I unsnstalled it over six months ago but no one had th emaster pw for removal. i called Trend Micro and they had me run a bach file that partially removed Trend. I ended up calling Microsoft since I get free support for the network being crytical down.

Below is what we had done to resolve the issue. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS.

>> Clients were able to ping server in safe mode with networking and vice-versa was true too.

server was not able too ping or be pniged

>> Disabled all third party services.

>> Uninstalled Trend Micro even from registry manually and also by its uninstaller utility

REVO UNINSTALLER.

>> Removed ghost entries for trend micro from device manager.

>> Diagnose internet was working fine on server in safe mode with networking with 8.8.8.8 as DNS IP.

>> We found that the IPSEC was lockdown.

>> Disabled ipsec from service.msc and rebooted the server.

>> Able to connect to the internet successfully.

jce122672

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:02 PM