none
installing sql server 2012 on windows server 2012

Question

• I have windows server 2012 standard edition which is domain controller also

I was trying to install sql server 2012 enterprise edition on it. 

It gave me 2 warnings - It is not recommended to install sql server 2012 on DC

and Fire wall warning.

For firewall warning - Is it after installing sql server i have to add sql server program in firewall ????

For DC warning - is it ok to ignore this warning ??

If i try to install sql server my account name for Sql server analysis is blank, dont have anything to select . Do i need to create manually ??? but how ???

h2007

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:28 AM

Answers

• Hi h2007,

According to the hardware and software requirements for installing SQL Server 2012, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 2012 on a domain controller. Although SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a computer that is a domain controller, there are some limitations. 
    For example,
    1. We cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller by using a local service account.
    2. After installing SQL Server on a computer, we cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller.

Usually, Firewall configuration requirements depends on the Analysis Services component you installed. If you installed PowerPivot for SharePoint, you do not need to open ports in Windows Firewall. In contrast, a remote connection to a standalone Analysis Services installation always requires you to open a port. 

On the Instance Name page, we can select the default instance name or create manually named instance name of the SQL Server Analysis Services. For example, the default instance name is MSSQLServerOLAPService, and the each named instance name is MSOLAP$InstanceName.

There is more details about installing SQL Server 2012, you can refer to them.
    Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012
    Installing SQL Server Analysis Services

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by h2007 Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:44 AM
  • ours is very small company. We have only one server. So I have to install sql 2012 on that one machine only which is DC also. So any solution for this???

h2007

Hi,

It doesnt say u cannot install but that might have consequences which might be fatal.So if you ask my view why not buy a seperate hardware and install SQl server.tell your management that if you install it on DC you might face problem if they are ok with that move ahead its there headache now.Show then the link I have provided.

Also if its not prod (which i assume it is) ,if its testing you can goa head.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:38 AM

All replies

• For DC warning - is it ok to ignore this warning ??

h2007

No please dont ignore the warning ,If its not recommended so please dont move in that way .procure different server and install on it.

See this Link,If u install u will be on risk.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Install SQL server on a seperate server.

Thanks,

Pranay.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:08 AM
  • Hi h2007,

According to the hardware and software requirements for installing SQL Server 2012, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 2012 on a domain controller. Although SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a computer that is a domain controller, there are some limitations. 
    For example,
    1. We cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller by using a local service account.
    2. After installing SQL Server on a computer, we cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller.

Usually, Firewall configuration requirements depends on the Analysis Services component you installed. If you installed PowerPivot for SharePoint, you do not need to open ports in Windows Firewall. In contrast, a remote connection to a standalone Analysis Services installation always requires you to open a port. 

On the Instance Name page, we can select the default instance name or create manually named instance name of the SQL Server Analysis Services. For example, the default instance name is MSSQLServerOLAPService, and the each named instance name is MSOLAP$InstanceName.

There is more details about installing SQL Server 2012, you can refer to them.
    Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012
    Installing SQL Server Analysis Services

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:44 AM
  • ours is very small company. We have only one server. So I have to install sql 2012 on that one machine only which is DC also. So any solution for this???

h2007

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:11 AM

h2007

Hi,

It doesnt say u cannot install but that might have consequences which might be fatal.So if you ask my view why not buy a seperate hardware and install SQl server.tell your management that if you install it on DC you might face problem if they are ok with that move ahead its there headache now.Show then the link I have provided.

Also if its not prod (which i assume it is) ,if its testing you can goa head.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:38 AM