none
Postmaster forwarding message copy to internal user.

Question

• Hello,

This might be a dumb question for most but I'm not familiar with Exchange so here goes nothing.

A client has Exchange 2010. This client what's a copy of every Postmaster activity to her email address of every message sent by postmaster. Postmaster does work but nobody is informed of postmaster emails other then the erroneous sender.

For example, if a user sends an email to my client domain and this email address does not exist, Postmaster@ will reply to the sender telling them that the email does not exist. My client want's a copy of the postmaster warning email so that he can be aware the error and the sender. Is that possible?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:19 PM

Answers

• you could setup a transport rule, that will send a copy of all mails sent by postmaster@ to another mailbox. Provided the message goes through the transport service.

in exchange console :

organization config

hub transport

transport rules

new transport rule

go through the wizard

from people would be the postmaster@ address

there is an action  to BCC the message

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:22 PM
  • The ExternalPostmaster stuff is org wide, so you dont specify a server

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:20 PM

All replies

• you could setup a transport rule, that will send a copy of all mails sent by postmaster@ to another mailbox. Provided the message goes through the transport service.

in exchange console :

organization config

hub transport

transport rules

new transport rule

go through the wizard

from people would be the postmaster@ address

there is an action  to BCC the message

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:22 PM
  • I'm pulling my hair off with this issue. I followed the instruction but it's not working.

In Exchange 2010 I configured the postamster mail box to admin@mydomain.com so now if I send a bogus email to mydomain I receive a NDR from admin@mydomain.com. That's all good.

Now I want admin@mydomain.com to receive a copy notification of the NDRs. Not happening!!!

cmdline used:

Set-TransportServer DC1 -ExternalPostmasterAddress admin@mydomain.com

But I get this error:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Set-TransportServer DC1 -ExternalPostmasterAddress admin@mydomain.com
    A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '-ExternalPostmasterAddress'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-TransportServer], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-TransportServer

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:53 PM
  • I'm pulling my hair off with this issue. I followed the instruction but it's not working.

In Exchange 2010 I configured the postamster mail box to admin@mydomain.com so now if I send a bogus email to mydomain I receive a NDR from admin@mydomain.com. That's all good.

Now I want admin@mydomain.com to receive a copy notification of the NDRs. Not happening!!!

cmdline used:

Set-TransportServer DC1 -ExternalPostmasterAddress admin@mydomain.com

But I get this error:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Set-TransportServer DC1 -ExternalPostmasterAddress admin@mydomain.com
    A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '-ExternalPostmasterAddress'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-TransportServer], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-TransportServer

Its :

Set-TransportConfig

not

Set-TransportServer 

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:03 PM
  • OK thatnks but now this:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-TransportServer

Name                                                        MessageTrackingLogEnabled
    ----                                                        -------------------------
    DC1                                                          True

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Set-TransportConfig DC1 -ExternalPostmasterAddress Postmaster@mydomain.com
    Organization "DC1" was not found. Please make sure you have typed it correctly.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CD4D0616

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:11 PM
  • The ExternalPostmaster stuff is org wide, so you dont specify a server

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Thanks. I finally got it to work for postmaster. As I see I had to ad code 5.1.1 in Transport settings > Message delivery to get a message from a bogus reply. Do I have to add all the codes? Is there a way that it monitors all codes or do I have to add them manually?

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:02 PM
  • A copy is delivered to postmaster mailbox BUT the original message is not attached. Is it possible to make the original message follow the copy to the internal mailbox?
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:43 PM