none
How to change file explorer window background color for windows 8?

Answers

• There’s no official method to change background color, and we don’t recommend to use third party tools to do because it may cause unexpected issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:37 AM

All replies

• HI! I am pretty familiar with Windows 8 and the configuration of the file system and I have found no way other than going through the Registry and manipulating some keys in File Explorer. Microsoft has locked this option down for some reason and the only way to enable it would be to research the file systems registry keys and take full control of them. I'm not sure if they have an admin scripting book out on windows 8 yet (probably not) but I would definitely get familiar with the file system and try to compare it with where that function was available in previous Windows versions. Hope this may somewhat lead you in the right direction guy- good luck and if you find a way post back... I'd love to hear some tech info!!! 

We live to learn, We learn to develop, We develop to operate... o(._.)o

• Edited by SIRKEEN75 Friday, May 17, 2013 5:34 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 5:33 PM
  • There’s no official method to change background color, and we don’t recommend to use third party tools to do because it may cause unexpected issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:37 AM
  • Just another of these details, which show, how Microsoft threw basic principles of ergonomic design over board with Windows 8.

This is much more "unexpected" for many users of previous Windows versions, than many useful 3rd party tools could cause.

Sorry, this had to be said.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:06 AM
  • And why is that?

Dror

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:23 PM
  • What would you suggest as a solution to the following problem, where I have a directory full of white icons on a transparent background?

Dror

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hello Dror!

Your problem seems to be maybe one of three things: If you have an Nvidia graphics card it could be a malfunction with this device, there could be a transparency issue, or there could be an issue with a theme you may have applied to your system perhaps. Is it only with this particular file directory? What type of web environment are you exploiting this directory in? 

• Edited by SIRKEEN75 Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:51 PM Typo
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:49 PM
  • SIRKEEN75:

I think that all is OK. The directory contains white icons on a transparent background. Since the file explorer color is white they are invisible. This is why I need to change the background color of this particular folder. Hopefully this picture will make it clearer:

You can see the folder with the dozens of white icons used in my application,

how two icons are seen in the app,

and how an icon looks in paint.Net:

Dror

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Hello Again Dror!

I see your problem. So basically, you are trying to offset the transparency between the background and the icons. I apologize, I don't have vast experience in this department but I do fully understand what you are explaining here; are you generally trying to find out how to change the background color or the color of the icons? Addingly, couldn't you invert the color of either the background or the icons and possibly modify the color so that they won't blend into transparency with each other perhaps?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:14 PM
  • sorry Leo.. not good enough.. I have a low vision relative who cannot use this BRIGHT white theme..  I need to adjust various desktop elements such as window backgrounds, foreground & background color schemes, pop-up dialogs and all..  I need to fine adjust many settings

Eng Dev

Saturday, September 07, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Any update with this issue? White background in Explorer make my eyes tired faster :(
    4 hours 15 minutes ago