From Microsoft: Are your downloads going slow on Subscriber Downloads? Please reply here

General discussion

• Hello Everyone!

We have consistently had some reports about slow download speeds, and I'd like to start a new thread about them so that we can both work to improve your speeds.  We did have a number of reports come in over the past few weeks (stretching into December) regarding extremely slow download speeds for certain files.   We did investigate this issue and it was traced to a caching problem with a server in our Datacenter.  The caching system had not place certain files on the server, and consequently requests for these files that hit this server would be re-routed to another datacenter, and likely across one of the oceans, thus causing extremely slow download speeds.

In general, the issues we get fall into one of these categories:
    - Download speeds are extremely slow, resulting in estimated download times of over 8 hours or more.
    - A 'file not found' error -or- my download always stops after the same % complete
    - Customers using firefox have a hard time getting complete downloads for large files
    - Customers have high speed internet connections and wish the download speeds matched that connection.  

In order to address your issues, so that we can take action on them, please post the following information here:
    1) the file name of the file you are attempting to download (there are over 300 "Windows 7" files, we need to know which one of them the issue is
    2) the nature of the problem.  Slow downloads?  Downloads dont start?  SOmething else?
    3) if its slow downloads, tell us the speed of your download
    4) tell us what country you live in or are downloading from.   This will tell us which datacenter you are hitting, and help us isolate the problem.

We will attempt to reproduce the problem, and if you've called Customer Service already, you know that they want you to run a VBScript on your machine that collects a diagnostic for us.  I will probably respond to your post asking you  to submit your problem to the site feedback link at the bottom of Subscriber Downloads, so that we can start an email thread, and can collect your Diagnostic results.  Perhaps we can get the diagnostic tool posted to subscriber downloads to give everyone quick access to it.

Thanks again for everyone's concern and patience.

Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Friday, January 22, 2010 11:01 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Mike,

I am in Houston, TEXas and my average speed is around 300k and it takes anywhere from 2-4.5 hours for the O/S downloads. My position would be GREAT if download speed were my problem. My problem is that I have attempted no less than 15 times to download Vista as well as Win 7 and after the long download time, I get an error message stating that the download failed. I have been able to acquire only ONE (1) download since November 2009 when I signed up!
    I am no longer using Firefox but using IE8 with Windows FTM program. So we shall see if that will work.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Downloads are extremely slow at the moment in the Netherlands. Signed up last week for Technet Plus so this is not a good start. The downloads do not start at the first click, mostly after 4 of 5 retries.
    Filenames:
    en_windows_server_2008_r2_standard_enterprise_datacenter_web_x64_dvd_x15-50365.iso
    en_office_professional_plus_2010_beta_x64_x16-19234.exe
    en_win_srv_2003_r2_enterprise_kn_with_sp2_cd1_x13-13664.iso

Download speed: 55 KB/s - 65 KB/s
    I'm using a broadband cable internet connection 20MB/s
    And I'm using firefox but IE8 gave the same download speeds.

Monday, February 01, 2010 5:01 PM
  • I have never seen a speed go above 300kb/s.  Ever.  It's at the point I have to leave downloads running overnight to get anything done.  I haven't had to do that since the olden days of AOL and 56kbps modems.

As a reference, I have 15Mbps down/2Mbps upstream, and it's only a problem from TechNet.  If I download from any other part of Microsoft it goes fluidly.

Doesn't matter which file I download - they are all slow.  Also doesn't matter if I use the File Transfer Manager (which BTW the link to is buried unnecessarily and it should be prominently displayed on the Subscriber Download page).
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Hey Mike,

I am at the moment in France, but I have the US TechNet subscription (since feb 16th).

My downloads seem to be capped at 100KB/s. I have tried a number of files from light weight such as Virtual PC to big ones like the Windows Vista SP2 x64 Ultimate and none of them goes over 100, most stay at 94-96KB/s. Sometimes they drop to a few B/s.

My PC is running XP SP3 and Firefox 3.6 and I have tried 3 download managers with the following results:
    - FF 3.6 download manager: capped at 100KB/s, some downloads fail after around 1GB downloaded (any Vista, 7, Server 2008/2003 files); files such as Virtual PC, IE 8.0 and XP Pro x86 download just fine, but with speed capped
    - Tried DownloadItAll plugin for FF 3.6: same speed cap at 100KB/s, same downlaod behavoiur with failures of larger files and success for smaller files
    - Now I'm trying a download manager exterior to FF 3.6 (since this may be the problem) called FreeDownloadManager - speed is capped at 100KB/s, small files passed, and files such as Win7 Ultimate x64 are at 11 to 15% and still going.

I haven't tried any special settings, and my usual DL speed (microsoft.com included) is around 1.3-1.4 MB/s. I haven't used IE in a while, I may give it a go now to see if it changes anything.

Cheers, waiting for replies.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Hey Mike.

I am located in RTP, NC, USA.  Internet Explorer 8 is not installing the download manager so I have to download with FF.  My download of en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921.iso started quickly but slowed and is now predicted to take 5 hours and 37 minutes.

Your site is down.
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    I'm in north Alabama, downloading windows 7 ultimate (en_windows_7_ultimate_n_x86_dvd_x16-13640.iso). My download speeds are 245 KB/sec plus or minus 15. Thanks for helping to address the issue.

Marc

Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Hi

I was getting about 7mb from Technet but now only get about 1mb or less.  I thought it might be British Telecom having capped my connection.  Is it a technet issue then?

I'm in England.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Been trying for 3 days to download en_windows_7_professional_x86_dvd_x15-65804.iso. Continuously goes to "interrupted" status and last log entry says: Retry count exceed, connection problems. Clicking resume shows Statistics of "Trying to connect"

I'm in southern California.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:02 PM
  • It's now March 31st.....  Where's the "fix" to this issue??  It's been over three month's and you guys have no fix!!!!

I'm trying to d'load Win2008 R2 server and my speed is jumping from 3KB/sec to (wow...  Hold on to your hats...) 60KB/sec  so it's going to take me 12 to 125 hr's to download.    I don't understand why it takes so long to reproduce this problem considering the number of other people having this issue.  

PS.  I'm trying this from my office which has two T1's, my home which has a 3Mbs DSL and from my Sprint 3G broadband card . 

FYI...  I had the same problem back in Oct 2009 when I tried d'loading Exchange 2007....  I finally purchased the media  (I guess this is another ploy to enrich Microsoft's coffers....)

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:55 PM
  • I've been having slow downloads  on all files I have attempted to DL. Connection starts at 1.5-2mb/sec then rapidly degrades to 2kb/sec.

Currently downloading from the following IP's

Monday, May 03, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Same problem in Atlanta, download speeds fluctuate between 600-700KB/s to 60-70KB/s.  The speed starts out fine then rapidly drops off as if it is stalling.
    Monday, May 03, 2010 11:50 PM
  • I'm actually really glad to find out this is happneing to so many people, I thought it was something at my end! I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Akamai download manager? Any chance of providing alternative links that don't use akamai? Quite apart from any other possible issues, lots of people aren't fans of having to install/use akamai and personally, I'm likely to be using another operating system when I want to download something. I'm a new subscriber and haven't actually tried to download using anything other than Windows yet but I'm guessing that it wouldn't work (?) That's just annoying.

edit:  I was wrong! I just tried firefox and no download manager required. I'm also getting around 440kB/sec as opposed to the 50-60 I was seeing through akamai...

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Same thing here.  I used to get around 1400 KB/sec, but now it takes forever to download anything.  I've tried using the download manager and not using it.  I've also tried using Firefox and IE, but both give me the same results.  I have at least pinpointed it down to my local machine which is running Windows 7 Pro.  If I go to a Windows XP SP3 machine, the speeds are back up to around the 1400 KB I used to get.  I think I'm going to try a download on another Windows 7 Pro machine here to be sure it isn't just something with my machine.  I'm in the southeastern US.  My download speeds vary from between 100 KB/sec to 300 KB/sec.  The real issue that seems to slow them down is the file downloads for a few seconds and then just pauses.  As it pauses the download speed will start decreasing.  Then all of the sudden it picks back up on the download speed and the file statistics section that lists remaining size to download starts decreasing again.  It does this pausing/starting so much it ends up taking many hours to download a file.  Any file I have tried to download does this, so I can't really list all the names.
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Same situation for me, download speed rarely gets above 300K with 50K being far more common and will usually terminate somewhere between 30MB and 80MB into the process.

This behaviour is independent of the actual file (happens will all that I have tried), browser (IE and Firefox used), platform (Win 7, 2008, 2003 & XP used) and ISP (3 different ISPs used).

As per previous posts, I am only experiencing this issue on this site and I used to be able to download at 5MB plus from here.

It’s clear there is an issue somewhere, and what would be helpful is if there was some actual feedback as to what is happening about it, rather than this just being a long thread of people complaining.

• Edited by dorsetbob Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:00 AM Removed font tags after pasting from word.
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Has this issue been addressed? Best speed I can get is around 600kb, but usually much lower.I was never able to download en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_x15_65922.iso with Firefox. Tried a dozen times or so and it would always fail. Even swapped out routers (an excuse to buy a new one) to see if it was the problem.  Ended up having to use IE.....

Monday, November 29, 2010 9:24 PM
  • This is UGLY.

I tried pulling 2008 R2 yesterday.. maxed out around 100kb/sec.

I'm pulling Exchange 2010 now (en_exchange_server_2010_sp1_x64_dvd_587827.iso) and it's bouncing between 28 and 70kb/sec.

3 different connections.. Roadrunner business class 20/20, Fios 35/35, and Sprint 4G.. all the same speeds.

I'm in SA-TX.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi Mike, I just got my membership and I'm having the same issue.

1. en_windows_7_professional_x86_dvd_x15-65804.iso

2. Extremely slow downloads

3. Speed: 7.5KB/sec

4. United States, Los Angeles

About my setup. I've tried both on Firefox and Safari. I'm running on a 12GB of Ram, i7 iMac, running Snow Leopard so I know it's not my system. My ISP is Time Warner and I get about 1.2 MB/s Upload and about 35MB/s downloads. Again, I can download large files off of other websites with no issues, just this site. (Random site note, this website works horrible on Safari)
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Experienceing extremely slow downloads this evening.

File: en_office_for_mac_home_and_business_2011_mac_dvd_581902.iso

Speeds:  bounces from 15KB/sec to 40KB/sec

ISP:  RoadRunner 10MB/sec connection

Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:49 AM
  • 1. en_windows_7_professional_x86_dvd_x15-65804.iso

2. Extremely slow downloads

3. Speed: 36 KB/sec

4. Russia, Novosibirsk
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. I've tried it from both home and work and I get the same result...speeds start off decent (not great, but decent around 500kb/sec) then drastically reduces and eventually stops. This happens with IE, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

I'm assuming since this thread has started months ago and no resolution has been posted that this problem is not going to be fixed. I wish I had known that before purchasing my subscription as it is totally useless if i can't test software for my business.

Would really appreciate some type of fix. Thanks.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Nevermind my last post...it is now working!
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Here we are in Feb. of 2011 and now I am starting to experience the slow and intermittent download problems. I am six months into my sub. and this does not bode well for renewal. I am currently d/l'ing and 359 KB/sec on a 25meg Fiber connection. Oh wait, the download stopped again. What is going on?
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Sorry if this is off topic, but perhaps it will help some of you. I solved a problem that sounds somewhat similar to the symptoms some posters are describing, but it wasn't restricted to Microsoft downloads. In my case, it turned out to be my Linksys (Cisco) RVS4000 firewall router that was the problem. If you don't have one, you can probably stop reading now.

The symptom was that a download would start out well and run OK for several MBytes (or 50 sometimes)and then suddenly halt. Sometimes retrys succeed in letting the download go a little farther, but it seemed to just get slower and slower. I started looking at the connections my Browser (Windows XP SP3, Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702) had open and discovered several connections to some strange sites. These appear to be servers that host a fixed IP address for serving downloads. One example is: a96-17-111-48.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http (96.17.111.48:80). There are other domains that seem to do the same thing.

It wasn't always this way. My downloads worked fine and the trouble didn't start until I tried to download a 3GByte Fedora 14 Linux update. The download ran OK for about 2.5 GBytes and then halted. From then on any large download almost always stopped part way through. Also, the limit of how many MBytes it would load before halting seemed to get shorter and shorter. Very wierd. It wasn't until I took a good look at my firewall logs that I noticed some of the same IP addresses that were hosting the downloads were causing errors in the IPS (IP Signature) log: "Chat ICQ Login attempt-2".  (The IPS detector allows you to block certain kinds of traffic at the firewall. Chat ICQ is an instant messaging service that I had blocked.)

I tried disabling the entire IPS function in my firewall and my download completed. I then re-enabled IPS with all categories blocked except for ICQ in the P2P/IM (Peer to Peer/Instant Messaging) group. My downloads are now working OK (what a relief).

I conjecture that something in the downloads was triggering a false-positive detection of an Instant Messaging login attempt and the firewall added the download server to a blocked list. Over time most download servers were blocked. So, when a new server became blocked, I had trouble finding another server to complete the download.

There are so many things that can cause slow or aborted downloads, it is a difficult problem to troubleshoot. I had such a tough time finding the solution, I thought I'd share it in the hopes it will solve at least one person's problem.

Sunday, February 06, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Trying to download the following and keep getting disconnected after a few minutes:

en_office_2003_std.iso

en_office_standard_2007_united_states_x86_cd_483881.iso

I'm in the US.

Monday, February 07, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Consistently poor download speeds the past few weeks.  In addition to the slowness, I have to constatntly restart the downloads as they become "interupted" or just never start.  Happening for me on multiple ISPs.  I am located in the US on 25mbps+ lines and the fastest download I have seen is 384KB/sec when it does work, but even then, the download just stops and has to be resumed numerous times.

Downloads I have tried recently are pretty much all the Forefront products. I could list them all, but seriously I have attempted to download them all.

Monday, February 07, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Okay people,

thru digging around on this site following links like crazy, this is what I found and implemented that actually works.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/11/20/speed-up-and-download-faster-from-microsoft-msdn-downloads/

Follow the instructions and try your downloads again. Post back here and let us know if it works.

Monday, February 07, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Okay people,

thru digging around on this site following links like crazy, this is what I found and implemented that actually works.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/11/20/speed-up-and-download-faster-from-microsoft-msdn-downloads/

Follow the instructions and try your downloads again. Post back here and let us know if it works.

Tried it on 3 different machines using 3 different ISPs (all are int he US but located throughout the country).  No difference at all.  Still taking 30 minutes "trying to connect" when it does connect, a 75 meg download of forefront enpoint protection 2010 times out repeatedly. 
    Monday, February 07, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Ryan, thanks for posting here. 

I'm able to reproduce this this morning as well and I've alerted the team to investigate.  Will let you know when I hear back.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, February 07, 2011 4:58 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Everyone!

We are having a major incident with our download server. Our Download team is working on resolving this issue.

We just have put an emergency notification on our subscription site.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Supriya

Monday, February 07, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Update:

The downloads team reports that after some changes last evening, they're seeing much better throughput and success rates this morning, although they're still investigating.  

If you're still seeing download issues, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:14 PM
    Owner
  • I have a 100 mbit glasfiber connection and I am downloading (for example) ZuneSetupPkg.exe at 34.2KB/Sec from Microsoft.

Everything I download from microsoft is *extremely* slow.

I live in the Netherlands and my location is set to the Netherlands.

Please fix this...

Peter

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes, I think generally it is slow.  The download speed I get is around 350 KB / sec, according the Microsoft File Transfer Manager.  No, I didn't download other programs at the same time.  Only 1 ISO/program as a time.  I know my current ISP download speed can go to at least 5MB / sec.    I know that I used to get at least 800 KB / sec from Technet, and there were times, I got up to 1.2MB /sec . 

1.)   en_windows_server_2008-datacenter_enterprise_standard_x86_dvd_x14-26710.iso  and all other Windows 2003 and 2008 Server ISOs

2.)  Slow Downloads

3.)  The average seems around 350 KB / Sec

4.)  Los Angeles, CA.      I tried it want I was in San Jose, CA.  still the same problem.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:11 PM
  • I am trying all day today, Feb 17th to get an ISO for SQL SERVER 2005 CD2 and the speeds stop then start then stop then start.

Its ridiculous. Its embarassing that microsoft is so poorly serving technet subscribers with this terrible service.

david

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to Download Vista Enterprise x86 sp2 dvd, currently only 500 Kb/s (usually 1.5-3 mbit)

Same with SQL Server 2005 and 2008 and also all other windows editions (well win 7 was faster due to a new download manager which opened up)

I am in Germany and have a VDSL 50Mbi/t connection.

Thank you very much!

Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Trying to download IE8 and some other update files. Downloads start fine at about 80KBs then begins to slow to about 3KBs then stops after about 2 minutes. Have been having this problem for about a week.

Michigan USA

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:41 PM

• 1) the file name of the file you are attempting to download
    en_windows_7_ultimate_n_with_sp1_x64_dvd_619212.iso
    2) the nature of the problem.  
    Slow downloads, DLs won't finish:
    3) if its slow downloads, tell us the speed of your download

Firefox 4, IE 8, no speeds above 400 kbs across seven attempts. Speedtest.net shows my download speeds at over two meg.

4) tell us what country you live in or are downloading from.   This will tell us which datacenter you are hitting, and help us isolate the problem.
    USA, near Redmond, WA.
    This is really hurting my productivity. If no fix is imminent, at least post a not on the downloads page so people don't spend their afternoon trying to figure out what the issues on our ends might be.
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:09 PM
  • This is ridiculous. People have been complaining of slow downloads for over a year. Over two hours to download Office 2010 x86 Over four hours to download Windows 7 1) thefile name of the file you are attempting to download. ---> en_office_standard_2010_x86_515544.exe ---> en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240.iso ---> I tested a few others.... everything is slow. 2) the nature of the problem. ---> Super slow downloads. 3) if its slow downloads, tell us the speed of your download. ---> Bounces between 47KB/s and 103 KB/s 4) tell us what country you live in or are downloading from. ---> USA
    • Edited by Dickie_Roberts Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:21 PM Formatting
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:16 PM
  • I am seeing this problem continually with files from www.microsoft.com/download

Typically what happens is the download starts off fast, then slowly drops speed to a crawl until , as the OP noted, there is a "file not found" message.

For example, I have tried several times to get this file

http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/2/3/D23F9F62-3DEE-4EC0-B3B9-D64E9F573D1F/VS80sp1-KB971090-X86-INTL.exe

We are on a T1 with no other site issues.

Monday, June 06, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I've seen this same problem for the last couple days on microsoft.com/downloads (I was downloading Microsoft Expression Encoder 4) and Windows/Microsoft Update. It's taking hours to download updates for an XP machine I'm rebuilding. I think updates were fine earlier in the week and last week when I rebuilt different machine. I haven't tested MS updates for Win7 or Vista.

I'm in Denver, CO if that helps.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:08 PM
  • In our company we have seen these familiar symptoms for several months, and thoroughly investigated with our upstream ISP. Eventually the downloads have become fast when we created a zone on our own DNS server for Microsoft downloads, so now we are downloading from Microsoft's US servers, instead of your Akamai-balanced locations in Asia. That's why it's slow, not really much to investigate.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:21 PM
  • I was just trying to download an update which has timed out several times now. I'm only getting a download speed of about 5 kb/sec, if that, then the connection times out. Elsewhere on the net I get download speeds of about 150 kb/sec. I'm located near Boise ID if that is of any help.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Super slow here:

1.)  SQL Servr 2005.  Currently patrnumber X11-58275, but all the others i tried were dirt slow also...

2.) Download speed between 20 and 50k,  on a 100mbit connection

3.) ""

4.) Near frankfurt, Germany. 

Monday, August 08, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Welll,  where's the fix?  idiots

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Mike,

I have no problem with the download (with speed around 700KB/s ~ 1MB/s) last week but the download speed is terribly slow when I tried to download a few files today.

1) Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English) & Server Install Disc: Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (x64) - DVD (English)

2) The download speed average around 100KB/s but the main problem is the download ended automatically at 15~20%. I tried to down with IE9, Firefox 6 and Chrome but all results the same.
    3) 30M boardband
    4) Hong Kong

Another question is that how to improve the download success rate and increase the completeness of the ISO.
    A few of the files that I downloaded have missing files. I found that out because I tried to install the software and and error message popped out. I redownloaded the file and that fixed the problem.

Friday, September 02, 2011 2:05 PM
  • 1. https://msdn.vo.msecnd.net/pr/en_windows_7_professional_x64_dvd_x15-65805.iso

2. slow and aborted downloads.

3. 53 KB/s

4. Lake Forest,CA USA

Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:21 AM
  • I'm sorry to say that I am experiencing much slower download speeds than I did with browser download than the download manager.  I used to get 700kb to 1.5 mb downloads, now I am getting 200kb.  I am downloading en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677460.iso from msdn.vo.msecnd.net.

ron at lautmann.net

Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:28 AM
  • I am having a problem of the downloads just failing.  Have tried chrome, IE8 and, firefox. 

It doesn't error.  Just gets to 300mb of 2.8 GB download of server 2008r2 and the window says "completed" 

has been happening for the last 2 days since I starting trying.

Contacted the online concierge about this, and they said they are working on it, but this thread has been open since january and nowhere does it say it is fixed.  the concierge says this is the only place you will get updated about this issue also.  

I was getting 71KB/sec download speed but that isn't related.  The issue is the download program believes it's finished.  It says "completed"

Sunday, September 04, 2011 10:05 AM
  • I used to get about 1.5 MB/sec with the download manager... now it's 70 kB/sec ....

When I tap into a server at work, it gets 2.2 MB/sec ...

In both cases I'm using Internet Explorer.

I wouldn't care if our intelligent firewall rules didn't restrict file transfers from work... :(

Monday, September 05, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Hi there.

I'm in Bangor in Northern Ireland, the downloads aren't cutting out or anything, just really slow. I'm trying to download Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English), getting a connection speed of about 16kB/s on a 40Mb fibre line using Google Chrome on Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

The online concierge asked me to post this information here.

Thanks

Monday, September 05, 2011 6:12 PM
  • 1.any windows 7 x64 professional dvd iso's

2. VERY slow downloads compared to normal, downloads that (in)complete at about 20%.

3. average 150k ... normally I get over 1mbs at my office -> 500-600k on my home connection.

4. USA, south carolina

customer service said the upstream team is working on it and should be resolved soon and I should use Firefox. appreciate the honesty about web browsers at least ...

Monday, September 05, 2011 10:13 PM
  • UK Based. - very slow downloads with Win7 Enterprise SP1 x86 DVD.

Download speed goes up and down from 10KB/s to 250KB/s and then terminates randomly.

Used IE8, IE9 and Firefox.

Useless.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Switzerland - about 2 hours ago:

WinXP Prof (Standard Edition) with SP3 x86 German - No Problem

15 minutes later:

Win7 Prof (Standard Edition) with SP1 x86 and x64 German - at 5% - 25% download freezes but downloadmanager still shows 250 KB/s...

We currently using the Microsoft Download Manager and suspend/resume the download everytime it stops..

Probably it has something to do with this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/tnfeedback/thread/c06851b7-0767-4b7e-81d0-7311e497a53b
    • Edited by Daniel Thomann Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:51 PM Related Thread found
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Daniel, were you using the Microsoft Download Manager for these downloads, or were you using IE9?

Thanks,
    Mike 

Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:58 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Mike, both had issues... but it seems, they are gone now. Thanks anyway. :)
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:58 PM
  • I get slower transfer speeds if I use the new subscription 2.0. Go figure its the same file being transfered from the same source to my hard drive either way.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:31 AM
  • Whether or not I use Subscription 2.0, I'm getting around 100 kB per second, compared to the speeds I used to get at 2 MEGABYTES per second.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Well, 3 hours later and only 1/3 of the file came and it aborted itself (said was complete, but sadly wasn't).  How sad... (Only 530 MB of 1.5 gigabyte Windows Thin Client ISO)  This is day 3 of trying to get it for evaluation :(

What a sad conclusion to my evening.

(To avoid confusion, 3 hours since I began downloading it, not 3 hours since my last post)
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:22 AM
  • I'm, in Sutton, England and I'm trying to download Small Business Server 2011 Standard and it consistently dl's at 60-90 kbs/sec and stops completely between 100-300 mbs. Any help on this would be most appreciated.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Same issue here. I'm in New Zealand and I've been getting 35KB lately and have been getting disconncted mid download. Download speeds from from other non Mincrosoft sites is fine. For example getting 1.5MB/sec from ww2.ati.com.

https://msdn.vo.msecnd.net/pr/en_install_disc_windows_small_business_server_2011_standard_x64_dvd_611535.iso?t=ad29c79c-db51-4bf1-bd50-cfb6090f8f44&e=1315433124&h=bece0a950fc25c99b02c64c93a8c344d

C:\>tracert msdn.vo.msecnd.net

Tracing route to msdn.vo.msecnd.net [70.37.159.202]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Router.local [192.168.2.1]
      2     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
      3    17 ms    50 ms    20 ms  122.60.120.1
      4     *       23 ms    15 ms  mdr-fid-int.akbr5.global-gateway.net.nz [202.37.244.222]
      5    21 ms    16 ms    23 ms  ae4-10.akbr5.global-gateway.net.nz [202.37.244.221]
      6    17 ms    16 ms    16 ms  ae1-2.akbr4.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.77]
      7    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  ae1-10.tkbr9.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.37]
      8    39 ms    40 ms    39 ms  so7-0-1.sebr1.global-gateway.net.nz [122.56.127.42]
      9    40 ms    40 ms    50 ms  ae1-10.sebr2.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.242]
     10    75 ms    39 ms    41 ms  microsoft-2.sebr2.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.6]
     11    40 ms    43 ms    59 ms  10gigabitethernet6-1.syd-xmx-edgcom-1b.ntwk.msn.net [70.37.149.58]
     12    40 ms    39 ms    39 ms  cds21.syd9.msecn.net [70.37.159.202]

Trace complete.

• Edited by relogged Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:15 AM Adding download URL and Tracert info
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Ok, it seems like this issue has been around for about a week.  Microsoft has a core team of brilliant engineers.

1.  Surely you can come up with an alternate way to give us--your customers and Microsoft advocates--access to the downloads we need.  Broken downloads for paying customers are simply unacceptable and I may, perhaps, suggest that this unavailability amounts to nothing less than a breach of contract, unless made right by Microsoft by ...

A)  Every one of us who are not able to access the software we clearly are entitled to for evaluation purposes should at this point immediately have our technet subscription expiry dates extended at LEAST a week--but for inconvenience (I'm positive many of us spent hours trying to download what we need to no avail and time is money) it should be extended at least two weeks for every week lost.

OR

B)  Burn the downloads we need on a 50 cent DVD and ship it to us.  Time is money, and a whole week of productivity on the part of many professionals over this issue has been lost.  To a multi-billion dollar corporation like Microsoft, this is chump change.

Look, I'm assuming that most of us are true Microsoft Professionals here.  I'm sure many of us here have a similar history to mine, namely, that in an increasingly Mac-crazed world (especially where I work) we're doing our darndest to continue to make make a case that Microsoft software is the way to go.  But I cannot present Microsoft technologies in their glory if I am unable to avail myself of the tools necessary to--ahead of going into board meetings where those who decide where the company money goes--get a feel for the way it works and how to set this stuff up and running expediently, and get a feel for its use and allowing time to come up with compelling arguements for implementing these technologies and make a case for its relevancy in their lives.  (Okay, that's a run-on sentence but you get my point).

Microsoft:  Give us something back, please.  At the very very least let us know your progress with this issue so that we can at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I find that "we're working on it" both feels empty and unassuring as Technet enters into week 2 with this problem.

To me, I believe, that this "issue" has more to do with a way to deal with piracy rather than a true technical issue, but cutting off your own advocates is not the way to go.  I am confident that most of us here believe that everyone should acquire their software legitimately.  We are the ones that make sure that our systems are scrupulously within licence agreement.  We are the ones that say NO to our "friends" that want free software.  We are the ones who refuse to work on relatives' computers when we realize they have a history of simply "borrowing" a copy of this or that from their own friends and relatives.  We are the ones that have to tell people of higher rank than us at work NO, you canNOT take our corporate Office 2011 DVD home and install it on your mother's computer, nor your childrens' school computers.

I am sure, like most of us who are true professionals on Technet, that we are zealous for anti-piracy and are willing to work WITH you on this, and agree that SOMETHING has to be done about it, Microsoft.  It, after all, means our integrity as Microsoft professionals and our careers.

Anyways... that's my 2 cents, take it or leave it ... Now I have to get ready to present absolutely nothing before our board members in a few hours because I was unable to test Windows Thin Client over the weekend for lack of being able to download it.

Sincerely, one of your many Microsoft advocates and long list of true professionals,

Donavon Szydlowski

MCP, A+, NSSA

• Edited by Don Szydlowski Wednesday, September 07, 2011 11:05 AM Clarity adjustment
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Same problem here, downloads are slow.
    Cebu Laptop Computer Repairs
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Donavon,

I think you have described the frustration a number of us are currently feeling. I'm lucky as I've finally got the software I was after, however this has taken 4 days and well over a dozen attempts. It also has a financial impact because I've been attempting the downloads from home over my ADSL broadband connection. In total I've used up 20GB of my monthly allowance to download a 4GB ISO. Slow downloads are annoying but premature termination of the file download is more than frustrating. The only update we've had is from Mike and that was yesterday, although appreciated surely Mike isn't the only person looking after Technet/MSDN subscriptions? The lack of information, status updates, etc are things that definitely need to improve.

Paul

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 11:38 AM
  • I can't even say my downloads are slow, they go ok for speed for a little while then end abruptly!

I am using IE8 but the download manager isnt coming up so when I am loosing the connection I can't restart the download.  I have tried it from 2 locations and 2 diferent internet providers so it's not something on my end.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Transfer rates to Sacramento, CA are ABISMAL when attempting to download Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with SP1 <30KB/S.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I concur, trying to download same file in Folsom, CA. Very slow and cuts off anywhere between 256MB to 1.6GB but download manager IE9 & Firefox, reports download complete. Very frustrating.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:55 PM
  • How about an update? I was just told by the concerge in the TechNet Forum to try to use FireFox or Chrome... really? Is that all Microsoft has to offer all of us paying customers?
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Same problems in Australia, slow download speeds, downloads saying completed even though they're not, and finally when one completed (en_exchange_server_2010_sp1_x64_dvd_587827.iso) some files in the image are corrupt. It's not feasible to spend hours downloading a file, only to have it be corrupt and to have to try again. These files should be downloading in 1-2hrs max. Can we please have the respect of someone at least acknowledging the problem and giving us an ETA for fixing it, or even letting us know you know about the problem...
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Download speed is super slow, following is my case:

1. File name of the files I attempt to download:

a.) en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64-dvd_U_677651.iso

b.) en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x86-dvd_U_677710.iso

c.) en_server_install_disc_windows_home_server_2011_x64_dvd_658487.iso

2. Nature of problem:

Download speed super slow and stop download automatically after complete downloaded 50% of the file size

3. Speed : between 23KB/s to 52KB/s (varying)

4. Country: Hong Kong (East Asia)

Hopefully the above feedback can help to trace the problem and find out the solution.

Waiting for your good news !

Edmond

Thursday, September 08, 2011 4:19 PM
  •  

Been sitting this way for 2 hours... so far. It isn't moving.

I tried yesterday several times and it starts good, then stalls.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 5:56 PM
  • It's still bad.  I came here looking for answers and saw nothing but complaints that it's still bad.

Firefox is actually doing a much better job of downloading from TechNet than IE is.

Friday, September 09, 2011 12:08 AM
  • I am trying to download from the MSDN site.

I have tried several files all getting around 13-35k/sec on a 100MB Link. I am getting to approximately 80%

The files I have tried are:

<label id="filenameLabel">en_server_install_disc_windows_home_server_2011_x64_dvd_658487.iso
    </label><label id="filenameLabel">en_windows_7_ultimate_n_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677597.iso
    </label>en_install_disc_windows_small_business_server_2011_standard_x64_dvd_611535.iso

I have tried with IE9 and Firefox 6.0.2

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:43 AM
  • i am from ireland and since about march 2011 i too have been getting rediculous download speeds. i tried to download a 4gb file en_server_install_disc_windows_small_business_server_2011_essentials_x64_dvd_664391.iso

but when ie said download was complete only 2.5gb was downloaded

using chrome or firefox does not make a difference

Friday, September 09, 2011 12:56 PM
  • I think we need to know when this is going to be resolved. If the engineers at Microsoft do not know why, I think an alternative plan needs to be put into place. As this is going on for months, it is reasonable that something be done immediately.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Same issue here, trying to download Windows Server 2008 Standard. File Manager doesn't even come up, it makes it a regular download, and at this point I could download it quicker on my cell phone.

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:59 PM
  •  I've have been attempting to download the file "en_windows_vista_with_sp2_x86_dvd_342266.iso" for days.  It's a 3G file with an extremely slow (50KB) download rate and the farthest I've ever gotten is 1G before the download terminated with no way to resume.  After many tries, I am averaging about 50M of the 3G downloaded before termination.  I've tried the old site as well as the Beta 2.0 site and I've tried with both IE 9 and FireFox 6.01.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 8:57 PM
  • One subscription not renewed.

Friday, September 09, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Yea. I am getting fluctuating speeds (0k-700k). I can't use IE because it never completely downloads the file. It was suggested I try Microsoft Download Manager. This eventually got me a 3gb iso file (took half the day). Now trying to download a 1.5gb file and it is nearly impossible. It keeps erroring out and reconnecting.

Files I tried to download:

en_windows_server_2008_r2_with_sp1_x64_dvd_617601 (3gb) - first half had bad, fluctuating speeds but the second half was fast, stable.

en_system_center_configuration_manager_2007_with_sp2_x86_dvd_447809 (1.5gb) - running for the last 2 hours+, only recieved 287mb

ATT VDSL on 6mb/1mb in Michigan. Remote server located in a Chicago datacenter (speed unknown) doesn't make it go any faster.

I am pretty disappointed at the service being provided. Since I signed up this week, I am seriously thinking about getting a refund if this has been going on for as long as this post says it has. That's bad considering that any other file downloaded from the Microsoft website is ridiculously fast. We should be able to choose what mirrors we download from, like other popular file download sites.

Friday, September 09, 2011 11:46 PM
  • I've just posted a new thread about this here.  Cosing this thread, as its over 20 months old.
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:02 PM
    Owner