none
Can't boot Windows 7 after Sysprep and Capture

Question

• I successfully sysprepped and captured a Windows 7 x64 Pro installation using MDT 2012 U1 but when rebooting the PC I get the "Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass [specialize].  A component or setting specified in the answer file does not exist" error.  When I hit the OK button the PC restarts and I get an error and the cycle repeats.  By reading other posts on this forum I believe the issue is related to IE10 but that's not my question.  I'm wondering if there's anyway I can salvage this PC.  How can I stop the setup from attempting to use the unattend.xml file and break the cycle of the PC always presenting this message and rebooting.  I tried hitting Shift-F10 during startup and renaming the unattend.xml file but that didn't make any difference.  Anyone have any ideas?
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:42 PM

Answers

• That's the thing, the only error in the log is in regards to the IEWelcomeMsg. The odd thing is in the original Unattend.xml the IEWelcomeMsg was set to "False" so I'm not sure why it was even an issue.  Oh well, I captured another image of an identical box running IE9 and there were no issues deploying it.  Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:55 PM

All replies

• Instead of renaming the file, try just removing the IEWelcomeMsg section in the Unattend.xml.  This is likely what is causing the error.

Since you already did the Sysprep and Capture (which caused the Generalize that leads to part of what you are seeing), if you can't "repair" the machine, you could always Deploy the WIM you captured from it and it should be just the same (minus name and whatever is in your Deployment Task Sequence plus execution of Specialize, of course).  As a note, this is part of why it's best practice to do your captures on a Virtual Machine and to have a Snapshot prior to doing the Sysprep and Capture (or to automate the entire build end-to-end).  This way you can just Revert to before the Capture and you are good to go.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Unfortunately taking out the IEWelcomeMsg section did not resolve the issue.  It's still in the same error msg -> reboot cycle.  I was really hoping to recover the PC as this is the first image I've captured from this particular model so I'm not certain what issues I may run into while deploying the image to other PCs.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Well, time to dig into the logs and find out what the real issue is.  I'd look at Setupact.log and Setuperr.log.  These should tell you which piece of the Unattend.xml the machine is failing on processing.  If it's not the IEWelcomeMsg, the other error I commonly see that leads to this is putting in an invalid or too long computer name.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:46 PM
    Answerer
  • That's the thing, the only error in the log is in regards to the IEWelcomeMsg. The odd thing is in the original Unattend.xml the IEWelcomeMsg was set to "False" so I'm not sure why it was even an issue.  Oh well, I captured another image of an identical box running IE9 and there were no issues deploying it.  Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:55 PM
  • It's an issue because there is a bug with Win7+IE10 and having it set at all (true or false).  Completely removing the line is the only way to resolve it.  Glad you fixed your issue.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:55 PM
    Answerer