none
Windows 8.1 Client Support on SBS 2011 Essentials

General discussion

• Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 Client PC's are supported or will be (with a forthcoming Update Roll-up) on a SBS 2011 Essentials network?

By asking that i mean full support by using the Server Dashboard to manage it and setting up Backup and redirection policies.... 

Thanks

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, Windows 8.1 client is supported on SBS 2011 Essentials network.

For more details, please refer to the following article.

Supported operating systems for client computers

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/supported-operating-systems-1.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Friday, November 08, 2013 5:45 AM
  • On the link you post there is NO indication that Win8.1 Pro Clients are supported. Where did you especially saw that?

I am looking for "solid evidence" of Win8.1 Pro supported under Dashboard management of Small Business Server 2011 Essentials before making any commitment to this.

Thanks in advance anyone who has that information.... 

Saturday, November 09, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my mistakes.

As I know, it seems there is no Microsoft articles that indicate Win8.1 Pro supported under Dashboard management of Small Business Server 2011 Essentials. You can contact Microsoft Customer Service, I believe that you will get an accurate response there.

Microsoft Customer Service

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contact_microsoft_customer_serv?&fr=1&wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Monday, November 11, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Windows 8.1 pro does not connect to the SBS2011 as a domain controller or Workgroup

you are forced to use the home group connector

Which you need to change from read only access (default) to read and write

or each shared area used by Windows 8.1 devices, this takes about a week

Windows 8.1 can still connect to SBS2011 as a Domain server or Workgroup

Windows 8 is aimed at comsumers and tablet mode GUI

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:57 PM
  • I'm not following your comments?  8.1 pro can domain join to a SBS/or Essentials domain?

Unfortunately TechNet isn't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Monday, December 02, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Hi Wiseman

Sorry to let you know, but Connector wizard will not work with Windows 8.1 Pro.  It goes through all the steps to require user credentials for the domain, then gets an unexpected error.  I tried this a number of times after rebooting, removing the connector software and reloading.  I also tried with the KB2790621 program instead of web connect command.

You can join the computer to a domain the old way, but this does not give you the Dashboard or Launchpad configuration - not a big issue for me, as I did not want them for these computers.

Michael

Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:16 PM
  • What happens if you join the domain manually, then run the connector?  Or do the regedit not to join the domain after you have joined it anyway and run the connector?

Grey

Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Dear Michael,

Thanks for confirming my fears..Win8 is the Last version of Client OS that is supported under Windows SBS 2011 Essentials, in terms of Connector-Backup-Dashboard functionality.

Never the less it is still the version of Essentials that has the Widest Client OS Support (from WinXP to Win8).

Thanks everyone trying answering this question for me.

Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Hold the phone on this verdict, I think it's wrong

Unfortunately TechNet subscriptions aren't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Sunday, May 11, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Confirmed it is supported.  Email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the at to @) and we will set up a support case

Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Email is at your inbox Susan....

Thanks

Monday, May 19, 2014 8:41 PM
  • You sure you sent it?  Try susan-at-sbslinks.com (change the -at- to @) as I haven't seen an email?

Monday, May 19, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Email is at your inbox for a second time my dear Susan....

Thanks

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:50 PM
  • To close the loop on this 8.1 is fully supported on SBS 2011 essentials and standard.

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:20 PM