none
error says body isn't the right length.

Question

• I have been trying for about 20-30 minutes to post something in the ".net remoting" forum.

I am pasting things in from word.  I am pasting code in as well.  But when I click the "submit" button, it keeps saying that the body must contain 4-60000 characters...

I have about 22000 characters.

can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you!
    Monday, February 16, 2009 3:24 PM

Answers

• I think it depends on the size... the 60k limit is on characters and the code formatter really bloats the size of the post.  Sometimes I'll past the html version of the post into word or something and do a character count. What we really need is a 'count as you type' or some way on the client to know what the size is...or some way to not store the mark up for code submissions. We're looking into some alternatives to this problem, you are not the first person to run into this.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Sylvia Able Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 5:18 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the character count include all of the underlying HTML as well (which  isn't immediately obvious). Does your post have a lot of formatting? Are you posting a large code block?

Hope that helps...
    Matt.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:45 PM
  • well, i guess it does have a good bit of formatting...  most of it is vb code that I pasted into the code window.  would it help to paste that code to the thread window instead?  Or is there no way for me to post all of it?

Thanks for your reply!
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:55 PM
  • I think it depends on the size... the 60k limit is on characters and the code formatter really bloats the size of the post.  Sometimes I'll past the html version of the post into word or something and do a character count. What we really need is a 'count as you type' or some way on the client to know what the size is...or some way to not store the mark up for code submissions. We're looking into some alternatives to this problem, you are not the first person to run into this.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Sylvia Able Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 5:18 AM
  • I have had the same problem on the Small Basic forum. I was not posting code, I had typed a few lines of text into the posting box; much like this post! logging out and in again did not cure it. This was about 14 hours ago but now, obviously, it's fine.

XP Pro
    IE7
    • Edited by Stendec Friday, April 10, 2009 11:22 AM extra information
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:21 AM