none
Auto select "from" account in multiple outlook accounts

Question

• Hello,

I have Outlook 2013 installed and configured multiple accounts in it. And ever since windows update has run this month, i've come up against an irritating issue which is that each time im in a mailbox and i try to reply to an email on that account, outlook picks my default account instead of automatically sending from the mail account im in at that moment.

Before the updates it went well, each time i replied on a mail on an account, Outlook would automatically pick the account im in as the send account, but now its set 1 account as default for all accounts.

Please help!

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:05 PM

Answers

• We have received many reports as your description since last week. It sounds like the sending behavior in Outlook 2010/2013 has been changed by some Windows/Office update and goes back to the behavior before.

Before we go any further, I have to mention some of the history for Outlook 2010. In Outlook 2010 without SP1, Mailto’s will use the default/principal account for message when you use Microsoft Outlook 2010 which has multiple accounts delivered to different data file. However, in later version (Outlook 2010 SP1/SP2 and Outlook 2013), Outlook doesn’t use the default account set in Account settings for new messages. Instead, it uses the account associated with the mailbox or *.pst file you have in focus.

Actually, this behavior is controlled by the registry keys. At this point, I suggest we check the following registry entries are exist and set it to the proper value.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    DWORD value: NewItemsUseDefaultSendingAccount
    Value type: REG_DWORD: 1 for force, 0 to disable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\outlook\options
    Value Name: ForceAccountSelection

Close the registry editor and restart Outlook to check if the behavior what you want would come back.

In addition, our Outlook MVP, Diane Poremsky has written an article with more detail information: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlook-2010/multiple-accounts-and-the-default-account/

By the way, we still cannot figure out which update is the root of the issue, if someone could test it and share the result here, I would appreciate that. Feel free to post back.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:57 AM

All replies

• We have received many reports as your description since last week. It sounds like the sending behavior in Outlook 2010/2013 has been changed by some Windows/Office update and goes back to the behavior before.

Before we go any further, I have to mention some of the history for Outlook 2010. In Outlook 2010 without SP1, Mailto’s will use the default/principal account for message when you use Microsoft Outlook 2010 which has multiple accounts delivered to different data file. However, in later version (Outlook 2010 SP1/SP2 and Outlook 2013), Outlook doesn’t use the default account set in Account settings for new messages. Instead, it uses the account associated with the mailbox or *.pst file you have in focus.

Actually, this behavior is controlled by the registry keys. At this point, I suggest we check the following registry entries are exist and set it to the proper value.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    DWORD value: NewItemsUseDefaultSendingAccount

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\outlook\options
    Value Name: ForceAccountSelection

Close the registry editor and restart Outlook to check if the behavior what you want would come back.

In addition, our Outlook MVP, Diane Poremsky has written an article with more detail information: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlook-2010/multiple-accounts-and-the-default-account/

By the way, we still cannot figure out which update is the root of the issue, if someone could test it and share the result here, I would appreciate that. Feel free to post back.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Thanks,

Is Microsoft going to provide us with a Fix It soon or?

Cause i hope you can imagine that this is very unpleasant.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Hello? Anybody? please help!
    Monday, January 13, 2014 10:43 AM