none
Windows 2008 enterprise edition high memory usage (high hard faults)

Question

• We have windows 2008 Ent edition in production env. Users directly log into the server via RDP. Last week we found that memory utilization was very high on the server around 96% because of this performance was degraded and it was taking lot of time to login to the server. server is having 96GB physical RAM

When logged into the server its found that hard fault count around 1000 + and when we killed the disconnected user session, utlization came to normal. In Resource monitor it was showing as only 4% of physical memory was being utilized. this is bit strange.

Just wanted to know if the session keeps in disconnected state will it effect memory usage on the server.

Appriciate your help on this issue.

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please keep the process explorer open in RDP in your admin login. Don't close the session just disconnect.

For my idea, I tend to think that a "vanilla" server don't make those symptom unless a hardware fault. So a thirdpart program or an badly antivirus is my first guess.

Regards

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi

Usually not, but that mean a process from the user session was using too much ressource. That make it easier to locate wich it's.

Before killing the session take like process explorer and watch what process is guilty to use so much memory.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Thanks for the response. But issue here is, when utlization was high i even not able to open taks manager ( it wa taking long time to open) so to run process explore is very difficult task.

Any idea what is the cause for high hard faults.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

Please keep the process explorer open in RDP in your admin login. Don't close the session just disconnect.

For my idea, I tend to think that a "vanilla" server don't make those symptom unless a hardware fault. So a thirdpart program or an badly antivirus is my first guess.

Regards

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:00 AM