none
Recipeints not receiving NDR's in exchange 2003

    Question

  • We are in the process of migrating to exchange 2010. Currently, we are successfully co-existing with 2003 and 2010. The problem occurred when we took McAfee WebShield off of the 2003 gateway server. Recipients are not receiving ndr's from 2003. I've been to >Global Sttings >Internet Message Formats and right clicked no the "Default". The little box is checked to send ndr's. Is there someplace else I need to check?

    Thanks in advance!

    Friday, February 04, 2011 3:22 PM

Answers

  • Guys,

    Thanks for the rapid responses. I did get it figured out. Getting properties of the 'default smtp conector' on the gateway and clicking on >Delivery > Advanced there is a setting to enter a "Masquerade Domain". Don't know how that got set, but it was changing the user's address to"name@SMTP.organization. Left the field to 'blank' and users are receiving ndr's.  Thanks for all your help!!

    • Marked as answer by Serena Li Monday, February 07, 2011 4:27 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 4:08 PM

All replies

  • what action are expecting NDR for ?

    are you trying to send a email to invalid recipient ?

     


    Dhruv
    Friday, February 04, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Yes, in general, when a user mistypes or uses an invalid address we want them to receive the ndr. It doesn't appear that exchange 2003 is sending them back.
    Friday, February 04, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Have you checked message tracking logs?
    Chris Morgan
    Friday, February 04, 2011 3:43 PM
  • if you are sending to invaliduser@yourdomain.com you should get immdiate NDR  or the other case may be

    invaliduser@invaliddomian.com in this case user will not get NDR but delayed delivery report after a while

    so what type of invalid user are you trying ?

    Chris has a good suggestion after you send to invaliduser@yourdomain.com try to track it from sender and server name

     


    Dhruv
    Friday, February 04, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Guys,

    Thanks for the rapid responses. I did get it figured out. Getting properties of the 'default smtp conector' on the gateway and clicking on >Delivery > Advanced there is a setting to enter a "Masquerade Domain". Don't know how that got set, but it was changing the user's address to"name@SMTP.organization. Left the field to 'blank' and users are receiving ndr's.  Thanks for all your help!!

    • Marked as answer by Serena Li Monday, February 07, 2011 4:27 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 4:08 PM
  •  

    Hi,

     

    Thanks for sharing.

     

    Best regards,

    Serena


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 4:28 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem and this solved my problem - im a bit concerned though why the mail server address is in the Masquerade Domain field.
    Friday, June 08, 2012 2:24 PM