none
How to make an olddomain.com 2003 DC a server member of 2003 newdomain.com?

Question

• Hi,

we are migrating from many AD domains to only one. We just have 2 DCs with newdomain.com and all PC clients and accounts in this new domain. We have DCs with "old" domains names that acts only as fileservers with domaintrusts (so clients loging on newdomain can access files of "old" DCs acting as fileservers).

Today all clients use and log to newdomain.com, and they access files from many old domains through domaintrust permissions.

I want to know which is the best way to "rename" the olddomain.com DC to make it a fileserver member of newdomain.com

Must I use rendom? I looked at ADMT but I couldn´t see how to use this tool to do this.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english

Monday, April 14, 2014 10:25 PM

All replies

• Since your file server are member servers, the best thing will be unjoin from the old domain and rejoin to the newdomain.com.

Note: If the Fileserver is hosted on the DC you should migrate the file server to the new member server using the robocopy.exe or FSMT.

http://www.arabitpro.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:12 AM
  • Hi Syed! thanks for you reply!

Could the old DC server miss the permissions asigned to groups of the newdomain , If I demote the DC? Or the permission remais without problems?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:55 PM