none
X and Y axis size in Dynamic Chart

Question

• Hi

have created a couple of sample dynamic charts for users with size varying dependant on the data they select

(one varies height, one varies width)

These are based on the article from MSDN

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertbruckner/archive/2008/10/27/charts-with-dynamic-size-based-on-categories-or-data.aspx

works well.

Only problem is that the width of the X axis (when a horizontal column chart) / height of the Y axis (when a vertical bar chart) also increases - and I cant see any way of controlling the size of either the AXIS TITLE or the CHART AXIS for either the X or Y axis (ideally they would stay the same size irrespective of the number of columns been shown in the chart).

n.b. for these charts, the min and max value for the range of values for the X or Y axis doesn't change

am using SQL2008 - VS2008 - Report Services Designer 10.50.4000

tia

Saturday, August 30, 2014 1:12 AM

All replies

• Saturday, August 30, 2014 1:25 AM
  • Hi markse,

According to your description, you have a chart with dynamic width/height. Now you want to fix the width of each axis title (column). Right?

In Reporting Services, when we put expression into set Dynamic Width/Height, this value (inches) will apply to the whole axis. And the width of each column including the axis title is adjusted by Reporting Services automatically, it will compare the area for displaying columns and other white space. It doesn't has any properties to fix it. So the width of each column will change slightly with the axis growing. It's the feature by design.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Simon Hou

Monday, September 01, 2014 12:00 PM
  • Simon

thx for the reply.

no - i think its a bug (as i indicated in my second post). i would expect when using the Dynamic Width / Height feature that the size of the axis would not change - i.e. if i am doing a chart of Employees (on X axis) and number of hours recorded (on Y axis), using Dynamic Width, then all that should change would be the width of the chart where the columns are contained dependant on the number of Employees selected. The Y axis details (showing number of hours) should NOT change - the value will be relatively constant if a few or a lot of employees are selected. from what i am seeing the whitespace / Y axis area appears to increase in width as the width of the chart increases - think this is wrong

Monday, September 01, 2014 9:13 PM