none
Windows 8.1 automatically logs me out after one minute

Question

• I downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 Pro a few days ago from TechNet. I'm logged in only with my Microsoft account (not a Domain account).

For some reason, it logs me out automatically after one minute and takes me back to the login screen where I have to click and enter my password in. I checked all of the Power settings and the Screen Saver is off.

Also, I've wanted to disable the login screen entirely since I live alone.  I've seen many articles about being able to disable it by unchecking the box in the netplwiz app, but the option doesn't even exist.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it's hard to definite where the problem it is, it's probably the system file corrupt that caused this problem, you can try to recover your system for test, if there was no use, may be you need to make a system refresh for your computer.

Please refer to the link below for more details about Windows 8 system refresh.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:00 AM

All replies

• Check event viewer and see if there is any suspect log before you log off?

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

May be you can try to boot into safe mode for test, or create a new account.

In addition, netplwiz is a command to open Manage User Accounts. I doubt whether you had use it correctly.

Press WIN+R, then type netplwiz , press Enter.

Roger Lu

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

May be you can try to boot into safe mode for test, or create a new account.

In addition, netplwiz is a command to open Manage User Accounts. I doubt whether you had use it correctly.

Press WIN+R, then type netplwiz , press Enter.

Roger Lu

I booted into Safe Mode (after figuring out the new method) and it logged me out after one minute.  I logged back in, created a new user, rebooted in normal mode, logged in as new user, was logged out after one minute.  Double-checked Advanced Power settings again -- nothing indicating this should be happening.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:16 PM
  • You have to enable the "Console lock display off timeout" setting in Windows Power Options.

So, then you can edit a time when it's locked.

Here is the instruction.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it's hard to definite where the problem it is, it's probably the system file corrupt that caused this problem, you can try to recover your system for test, if there was no use, may be you need to make a system refresh for your computer.

Please refer to the link below for more details about Windows 8 system refresh.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Roger Lu

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Darn it... it looked like that would fix it.  I edited the Registry, found the new Console lock display off timeout and set it to 0 but it didn't work.  So, I rebooted, tried again, still times out.  Then I went back and changed the timeout value to 9999 and it still locks out after 1 minute.  Checked all of the other Power Settings and STILL can't find the problem!  GRRR.

This is stupid. Why would Microsoft even put this kind of setting in by default??

Sunday, October 13, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Even though the Screensaver is off, did you uncheck the box next to On resume, display login screen?
    Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Yes, it was off.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:40 PM
  • I have the same thing happening to me, and I can workaround it by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL when it started to log me off, and then click Task Manager, then all is well (just have to relaunch any startup programs I have set to run).
    Monday, October 21, 2013 10:38 PM
  • This is happening to me too... using Microsoft account too.
    Friday, October 25, 2013 12:45 PM
  • I can't believe this is still an issue with no resolution!!
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 2:31 PM
  • This is happening to me too, but only on my stationary PC. The laptop does not do it. I'm using the same user account for both. I would appreciate help for this matter
    • Edited by Eli JC Sunday, November 03, 2013 11:05 PM
    Sunday, November 03, 2013 11:04 PM
  • I am having the same problem randomly, Windows 8.1 is logging me off automatically and throw me to the logging screen.  I make a system restore to days before the problem start and the problem continue. :/ I don't want to reinstall Windows for that..
    • Edited by ASP THE ONE Monday, November 11, 2013 7:54 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 7:53 AM
  • i'm getting the same issue. How was this answered?
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:14 AM
  • i'm getting the same issue. How was this answered?

Unfortunately, no.  I've been waiting on a Microsoft Update that has to fix this... so far, nothing.  I've tried hacking the Registry as suggested, no go.
    Sunday, December 01, 2013 4:44 PM
  • I have the same issue with logging me out after 1 minute while I am listening to music.
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 4:10 AM
  • RESOLVED!!!

Control Pane, User Accounts, Reset Security Settings

I found this on another site.  Funny thing is, after clicking it and closing the Control Panel and testing it, I went back in to User Accounts and Reset Security Settings is gone.  Maybe a recent Microsoft Update activated it for this fix.

Sunday, December 08, 2013 3:26 PM