none
Needed to copy the folder rights & permissions through Robocopy

Question

• Hi

I copied E drive to new G drive in the windows server 2003 through Robocopy with this command as below

Copy happened successfully, but the folder ACL and share settings are not there.

How can I restore from E drive to G drive ?

2. Question : with the same command structure for F drive to H drive approximately of data around 150 GB is getting copied for the 1 day full but not yet finished and if I am seeing the log file it is keeping  on updated in the size & time..I am scared that it will copy successfully or not .

Please advise in both this regard

Thanks & Regards S.Swaminathan Live & let others live!!!

• Edited by TECHSHAN Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:37 PM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:33 PM

Answers

• Sorry, my friend, this is not going to work. Robocopy is an administrator's command and as an administrator you need to read the manual. Here is what it says about the /w /r switches:

/R:n :: number of Retries on failed copies: default 1 million.
                   /W:n :: Wait time between retries: default is 30 seconds.

You did not use these switches the way they must be used. I recommend that you get a trained system administrator to assist you with this project.

Friday, July 05, 2013 7:06 AM

All replies

• If you want to include the acl's you should use the /copyall switch.

Here is all the switches for robocopy: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.10).aspx

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Hi Henrik

Thanks for your prompt reply and can you please advise on how to exclude the pagefile.sys which is present in F Drive now only I noticed which is making slow I guess because I found the error in the log file as below when I cancelled the copy.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Hi Henrik

Thanks for your prompt reply and can you please advise on how to exclude the pagefile.sys

You might examine the many switches on the web page that Henrik kindly referred you to. The /xf switch looks very promising . . .
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:10 PM
  • HiOberwald

Thanks for your suggestion ; I skipped the pagefile.sys which is the culprit causing to loop the robocopy preventing from copying other files and folders in the F drive for past 24 hours which made me to wait suspecting that copy process is going on .

Atlast when I cancelled the copying process after confirming the robocopy idle in the process explorer, examining the log file threw the light for me to ask the question to exclude the pagefile.sys.

• Edited by TECHSHAN Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:18 PM edit
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:34 PM
  • A far better method would be to use the /r and /w switches.

Furthermore, when you play with Console commands you should always test them out at the Console level (cmd.exe). In this way you see all error messages immediately. No need to guess what's wrong!

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Hi all

Still the process is going on ; meantime I checked the log and found the error as below in it

Please guide me still waiting to finish this job

Friday, July 05, 2013 5:06 AM
  • Hi Oberwald

Thanks for your immediate reply ; on 03-07-2013 I ran this command for copying E to G which happened successfully as below

Since ACLS part missing on yesterday 04-07-2013 I ran this command with /COPYALL switch as below but with log file different as below

When I checked the G: properties it is showing as in the screenshot pasted!

Why it is taking so long time to append only the acls?

Advise please

Friday, July 05, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Two problems:

• You failed to use the recommended /r /w switches.
    • There is no point in attempting to copy data while your disk is corrupted. You must resolve the corruption problem first.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hi

Shall I cancel the copy of E drive copy going currently and give the command with the /r /w switches additionally as below

robocopy E: G: /MIR /B /COPYALL /R /W /LOG:EDRIVELOG1

2.Question : H drive is a new disk which is allocated through new LUN ; how there is a possibility of corruption?

Please advise me for both

• Edited by TECHSHAN Friday, July 05, 2013 6:21 AM editing
    Friday, July 05, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Hi

I copied E drive to new G drive in the windows server 2003 through Robocopy with this command as below

Copy happened successfully, but the folder ACL and share settings are not there.

How can I restore from E drive to G drive ?

2. Question : with the same command structure for F drive to H drive approximately of data around 150 GB is getting copied for the 1 day full but not yet finished and if I am seeing the log file it is keeping  on updated in the size & time..I am scared that it will copy successfully or not .

Please advise in both this regard

Use this line.

robocopy e:\source g:\destination /copyall /e

/BM

Friday, July 05, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Sorry, my friend, this is not going to work. Robocopy is an administrator's command and as an administrator you need to read the manual. Here is what it says about the /w /r switches:

/R:n :: number of Retries on failed copies: default 1 million.
                   /W:n :: Wait time between retries: default is 30 seconds.

You did not use these switches the way they must be used. I recommend that you get a trained system administrator to assist you with this project.

Friday, July 05, 2013 7:06 AM
  • Hi

E & F copied to G &H respectively. My requirement now is G & H have to be renamed as E & F , and all the shares should be working as before the addition of new drives .

My question is after adding the 500 GB LUN'S ( initially as G & H , after renamed to E & F) should the shares be recreated and permissions assigned  or will it work automatically since the same drive letters are preserved

• Edited by TECHSHAN Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:32 AM edit
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:31 AM
  • Hi

E & F copied to G &H respectively. My requirement now is G & H have to be renamed as E & F , and all the shares should be working as before the addition of new drives .

My question is after adding the 500 GB LUN'S ( initially as G & H , after renamed to E & F) should the shares be recreated and permissions assigned  or will it work automatically since the same drive letters are preserved

The robocopy command must at all times use the current drive letters. Nothing is "preserved".
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Hi

I have the detailed post in this link also for the same issue:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/356070-needed-steps-to-rename-the-drive-letters?page=1#entry-234170

N.B: I forgot to tell you that the Robocopy issue was resolved through adding the switches /r:1 /w:1

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Hi

I have the detailed post in this link also for the same issue:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/356070-needed-steps-to-rename-the-drive-letters?page=1#entry-234170

Then you should stick to that thread. Duplication of posts causes duplication of effort.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for any ambiguous statements made ; I posted this issue in that forum because of the link http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/2147-move-shares-and-permissions-to-a-new-disk-in-windows-server

which gave the solution for my scenario and needed more precise solution that is why I posted here too

• Edited by TECHSHAN Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:29 AM adding
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Hi Oberwald/Henrik/bawzman & all

Thanks for all who helped me in achieving successfully finishing my project .

The document provided by Casey Crowe at is helpful for me and minimized my efforts of recreation of shares steps after the renaming of the drives

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/2147-move-shares-and-permissions-to-a-new-disk-in-windows-server

Special thanks to Casey Crowe

I here to comment on that it is very important to keep into consideration on the  pagefile.sys on the drives where you are going to rename because I got the following error

The operation was cancelled due to an internal error” error message when trying to change the drive letter

Found that the pagefile.sys existing the drives to be renamed caused the issues and found by myself during the process about this .

At last when I was googling to this issue is little bit old which is discussed elaborately at here :

http://danv74.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/the-operation-was-cancelled-due-to-an-internal-error-error-message-when-trying-to-change-the-drive-letter/

• Edited by TECHSHAN Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:38 PM adding
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:23 AM