none
Extremely slow to unresponsive SBS 2011

Question

• Hey All,

Hopefully you guys can help me out with an issue, before I decide to tie the server to my bumper and drag it down the street.

I have a client with a 1 year old SBS 2011 Standard box. Quick Specs: Xeon Quad Core, 16GB Ram, 2 RAID1 Arrays, 1 Array is for OS/programs and the other array is for Exchange Database, Shared Folders, User's Redirected Folders, and runs Trend Micro Worry Free Advance, no other 3rd party software. The problem is about every couple of weeks the server becomes extremely slow for file access, a 1 page word doc will take almost 5 minutes to save to the shared folder. BTW this always happens between 11am-12pm. You cannot logon locally or remotely, the only thing that runs ok is Exchange, syncing with outlook or phones is pretty immediate. The only temp resolution is to hard reboot, ie hold in the power button until it turns off,  and then it runs great for a few weeks.

Things that I have tried or looked at:

1. No events are logged at the time of occurrence

2. Logged CPU/RAM/HD I/O, nothing out of the ordinary

3. Limited the ram usage of the Exchange database to 8GB.

4. Checked all hardware with MFR's test utilities, all ok

5. Verified BIOS and all other drivers are up to date

6. Uninstalled Trend Micro, no difference, so I re-installed

Not sure what to do from here. I have looked al over the interwebs and there are a lot of people with the same issue, but no one has a resolution.

HELP!

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi:

You seem to have checked most of the usual things.  Such intermittent issues can be madding.  You did not say if you looked at Scheduled Tasks?

Intermittent switch or port failure, or even (server or any) NIC might be a cause.  But one would not expect it to be so time sensitive unless there was a trigger.

Also,  I have to wonder if the symptom is caused by some external source such as a generator or microwave (tower) that floods your network and just makes the network grind to a halt.  The reboot may be coincidental.  I once had similar caused by the ham radio operator in the next building that messed up the network whenever he turned on his equipment and started broadcasting to his contacts on the other side of the country/world.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Hello

You have done most of the basic troubleshooting.

It's time that you open a ticket with Microsoft, and let them take a look at the server.

We need to run performance monitor, and configure the server to create dump. Manually crash the server at the time of issue, to find out whats happening.

Regards

AkashG

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:58 AM

All replies

• Is there anything set to run between 11am and midday? This seems to be the clue... Backup for example?
    Friday, January 17, 2014 10:48 AM
  • Nothing is set to run during that time frame. Backups are done at night and only take about 2 hours to complete.

Just additional info, if I ignore it, the server does not recover on its own. I just mention this because some other users have mentioned that if they leave it for 20-30 minutes it returns to normal, unfortunately this one does not.

• Edited by HCI3 Friday, January 17, 2014 2:57 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Hi:

You seem to have checked most of the usual things.  Such intermittent issues can be madding.  You did not say if you looked at Scheduled Tasks?

Intermittent switch or port failure, or even (server or any) NIC might be a cause.  But one would not expect it to be so time sensitive unless there was a trigger.

Also,  I have to wonder if the symptom is caused by some external source such as a generator or microwave (tower) that floods your network and just makes the network grind to a halt.  The reboot may be coincidental.  I once had similar caused by the ham radio operator in the next building that messed up the network whenever he turned on his equipment and started broadcasting to his contacts on the other side of the country/world.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Hello ,

Check for system events 2020 and 2019.

If you find it , server is experiencing excessive usage of page/nonpage pool .

to resolve it you can follow-http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2006/12/18/understanding-pool-consumption-and-event-id_3a00_--2020-or-2019.aspx

Run BPA on sbs2011 and fix all critical events (if any).

check NIC driver (server and client) and update it to the latest.

Disable all TCP offloads and "Receive Side Scaling" on the NIC on the server.

Create these two registry keys at HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Name:DisableTaskOffload

Type:REG_DWROD

Value:1

Name:EnableRSS

Type:REG_DWORD

Value:0

Reboot the server to take effect.

Now, monitor the server if the issue still persists.

Please let me know if you still face the issue.

All the Best.

Upanshu Anand

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:21 PM
  • OK, update with more info. This time I have a bunch of event logs in the Application Logs

Critical Status - SharePoint Foundation     Event ID   6398     user account domain\SPFARM

Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on null values.

Multiple VSS 8230 and 8224 event IDs.

VSS 8230 - Volume Shadow Copy Service Error: Failed resolving account SPFARM with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VSSAccessControl Registry Key.

VSS 8224 - The VSS Service is shutting down due to idle timeout

These all appeared in the morning and the time that the server slowed down, after that time frame, the event logs are clear. I have not researched these yet, but wanted to post this up to you guys first.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Hello

You have done most of the basic troubleshooting.

It's time that you open a ticket with Microsoft, and let them take a look at the server.

We need to run performance monitor, and configure the server to create dump. Manually crash the server at the time of issue, to find out whats happening.

Regards

AkashG

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Just bumping this post, the server has ran flawlessly for the past few months and the client has called me this morning and the problem has returned. Do you think more RAM would help? I am just stumped on this one. I have 2 other servers with the same exact hardware config as this one and they never had this problem.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 6:06 PM