none
Outlook 2013 Autocomplete

Question

• Hi 

How do I make a backup of the autocomplete list for Outlook 2013?.  I was told that it had a file name ending with .NK2 but cannot find one.

Thanks

Dave R

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Up to and including Outlook 2007 that was true, I believe Outlook 2010 changed to using the "Suggested Contacts", and now Outlook 2013 has changed it again. From the details here http://vinny4tech.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/outlook-2010-to-2013-where-did-my-autocomplete-go/ the autocomplete for 2013 can be found in the Stream_Autocomplete.dat which can be found in C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache.

Friday, September 06, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Thanks Keith

I found the file you referred to above, unfortunately however there are 4 of them (?).  Initially I thought that there might be one for each email address in Outlook but I actually have 6 email addresses.   Also, it's not that I don't have autocomplete, I do it's rather that I want to find the correct autocomplete list so that I can back it up in the event of a (possible future) problem.  Just looking for the file illustrates that if I lose my data I'm likely to have a problem.

Friday, September 06, 2013 10:23 PM
  • The autocomplete file is stored as a hidden file in your data file and in the autocomplete stream file. If you want to back it up, save the stream files (in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache) or use an utility to extract the names. NK2 utilities (they work on both the stream and NK2 files)

You should have one stream file per account, but the stream is only created when you send email from that account.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Saturday, September 07, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Do you send from all 6 of those addresses or are any of them (perhaps 2) addresses you only receive messages on?

I've checked a couple of 2013 instances with multiple accounts and they also have multiple stream_autocomplete files. On one there two accounts, both of which are used to send, and there are two files. On the other there are four accounts, but only three of them have ever sent email, and sure enough there are three stream files.

In my case with the larger files I've been able to work out which file relates to which mailbox, since amongst the non-ascii data the recipient addresses are visible if you open the files in a text editor. Fortunately the addresses sent to from each in my case are distinctly different enough that it's obvious which is which.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Thanks Diane

Got what I wanted using one of the NK2 Utilities from the link in your message and exported the detail to an Excel file too - perfect!

Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Thanks Keith

Will check all of them but extracted the emails/names from my primary email using an NK2 Utility - refer Diane's post above.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:40 PM