none
Drivers not installed when running OSD through standalone media

Question

• Wanna ask, I have just create a standalone media DVD for my OSD from my task sequence to cater for offline formatting. But i am curious as to why it is not installing the drivers each time after we finishes formatting using the standalone media. When formatting through the network it is ok but not using standalone media. My question is, is it because in my task sequence i am using Auto Apply Driver task instead of Apply Driver Package?
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:10 AM

Answers

• Auto Apply Drivers needs to be able to do its scan and send the report back to the catalog to find the right drivers.  If you are doing offline media, you need to use Apply Driver Package steps.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Proposed as answer by Justin ChalfantMicrosoft employee, Moderator Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Efa77 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Efa77 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Efa77 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:41 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:11 AM
  • If you want to support the hardware, you need to include the drivers. Stand alone media is not meant to be an end-all perfect solution. Having to use driver packages and put potentially several GB of drivers on the media is a big drawback. Consider only supporting some hardware models with standalone media and having full support only available for connected devices.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:17 PM

All replies

• Auto Apply Drivers needs to be able to do its scan and send the report back to the catalog to find the right drivers.  If you are doing offline media, you need to use Apply Driver Package steps.

• Proposed as answer by Justin ChalfantMicrosoft employee, Moderator Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Efa77 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Efa77 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:11 AM
  • So since I have a lot of different model of laptops, do i need to include all the driver package for each laptop in the task sequence?
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:25 PM
  • If you want to support the hardware, you need to include the drivers. Stand alone media is not meant to be an end-all perfect solution. Having to use driver packages and put potentially several GB of drivers on the media is a big drawback. Consider only supporting some hardware models with standalone media and having full support only available for connected devices.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Ok, thanks. SO it would be better for me to categorized the media by hardware model then. Thanks again.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:42 PM