Sysprep for Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview - unexpected Product key in OOBE

Question

• Hi,

I have installed the Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview edition on a VM and wanted to create an image for testing purposes.
    For that process, I have used an answer file  (worked in Windows Server 2012) that will automate the CopyProfile method and OOBE phase.
    When the server booted up, I got the "Product Key" screen before I could login. It did not happen before.

Did anyone encounter this issue or have any idea what is the root cause?

Thanks

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

If you attempt to run Sysprep.exe to create a WIM image more than one hour after the first user has logged on to the newly installed operating system, Sysprep.exe will fail. A scheduled maintenance task that recovers disk space by removing unused features is the cause.

For more and detail information, please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303413.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

Thanks for your reply.

We already found that issue and followed the KB, so this is not the problem.
    The problem is:
    1. For some reason, I'm required to enter the Product key again after sysprep.
    2. CopyProfile doesn't work (Known issue)

We wanted to automate the OOBE phase, as we did before, but it doesn't seem to work. The new WAIK is unable to create a catalog file from the intall.wim file - but that's another issue all together .

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:15 PM