none
Gold certified partner licenses

Question

• The organization that I work for is an MS gold certified member. A number of the servers and a few PCs that I administer are from volume licenses purchased through the MS gold certification. If my company were to fail becoming a partner again for a while, would my kms licenses be compromised? Basically I'm not asking, can I still install new servers, we could sit on it. What I'm asking is: would half of my servers get that black background screen and say that we're not using licensed software?
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:55 AM

Answers

• Hi

Better call the VLSC.

My rule of thumb for me is; Licenses brougth with the saving of your gold partnership is up to you what you do with them. As a gold partner will make more profit with every sell, so basicly you buy at your cost.

The hic, is any license gived, not brougth, you have to fufill the license agreement for them, like the msdn must be used for lab, etc...

Regards, Philippe

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:08 AM
  • KMSclients do not communicate with MS servers, and, KMShosts only communicate with MS servers once (if you perform online/web activation, or never, if you perform telephone activation). From this point, there is no comms with MS, ever.
    There is no requirement (neither technical nor contractual) for there to be any further communication to MS servers, from your KMShost nor clients.

So, there is no practical way for them to be compromised.

Note that the technical aspects, and the "black background" etc, has no bearing on your licensing status, i.e., if you are not entitled, or are no longer entitled, to use the software, whether it is giving you black backgrounds or not is a minor detail ;)

Check your partner agreement, and if it states that your partner benefits are perpetual and do not cease if your partner status ceases, there is your answer.

From memory, it varies, depending on the type of partner you are, e.g. a learning partner vs. a seller/reseller or whatever.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi

Better call the VLSC.

My rule of thumb for me is; Licenses brougth with the saving of your gold partnership is up to you what you do with them. As a gold partner will make more profit with every sell, so basicly you buy at your cost.

The hic, is any license gived, not brougth, you have to fufill the license agreement for them, like the msdn must be used for lab, etc...

Regards, Philippe

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:08 AM
  • KMSclients do not communicate with MS servers, and, KMShosts only communicate with MS servers once (if you perform online/web activation, or never, if you perform telephone activation). From this point, there is no comms with MS, ever.
    There is no requirement (neither technical nor contractual) for there to be any further communication to MS servers, from your KMShost nor clients.

So, there is no practical way for them to be compromised.

Note that the technical aspects, and the "black background" etc, has no bearing on your licensing status, i.e., if you are not entitled, or are no longer entitled, to use the software, whether it is giving you black backgrounds or not is a minor detail ;)

Check your partner agreement, and if it states that your partner benefits are perpetual and do not cease if your partner status ceases, there is your answer.

From memory, it varies, depending on the type of partner you are, e.g. a learning partner vs. a seller/reseller or whatever.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:47 PM