none
AppV 5: Application failed to launch

Question

• Hi Everyone,

At client side I can able to see the applications, but When I open it gives the following error.

And The Log contain "

Process 2760 failed to start due to Virtual Services subsystem failure. Package ID {189f2350-bae9-4826-88bf-f1e1a99ae498}. Version ID {2630ea78-8abe-4651-a13a-8230e5e9d29d}. Error: 0x84000D2A-0x436"

Help me to slove this issue.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:01 PM

Answers

• What are the permissions on the share? Ensure that Domain Computers has at least read access.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:43 PM

All replies

• How did you add the package to the client? This error message is usually due to the package on a network location that is unavailable (e.g. a network drive).

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, December 21, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

I add packages in server using  network shared access  like \\Server IP Address \Content\access\access.appv

And at client side

I install App-V client 5.0 and I executed the following commands in Power Shell.

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Import-Module AppVClient

Add-AppvPublishingServer -Name sasi -URL  http://172.168.0.10:82

Set-AppVPublishingServer –ServerID 1 –GlobalRefreshEnabled 1 –GlobalRefreshOnLogon 1

And I can able to access packages using the URL http://172.168.0.10:82

What is wrong in the procedure.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:37 AM
  • What are the permissions on the share? Ensure that Domain Computers has at least read access.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Hi

I have given full permission for domain and app-v Server Computers.

Still I got the same problem.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:46 AM
  • I am also having same problem.  Hope somebody can shed some light on why the app fails to open - keeps getting network failure error.  I have given full access to the shared folder on publishing server.
    Monday, April 01, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Getting access to the server using http and port 82 is one part of the game. When you specify \\ip-address\share\subfolder\package.appv, the client tries to connect exactly to that location, using SMB. Can the user access the file with Windows Explorer?

Can you sync the publsihing information using Sync-AppVPublishingServer –ServerID 1 ?

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:39 AM
  • In my case the user can connect to the location using SMB, can create a folder, write to the folder, modify the folder (content folder) - yet, I am still having same error Network Failure error.  I have given full permission to the content folder for all users and computers just to see whether it will fix - no luck.  I even tried giving full access to c drive by sharing - yet no luck.  I even made user member of local administrators group on the publishing server - no luck, I even added win8client computer to local administrators group - yet no luck.  Running out of option on how to solve this problem. 

Some more information from the event viewer on the client machine - when, i try to start sequenced package from win8client machine - for example adobe xi - i get network failure error - looked at the event viewer and i see event id 10001 - process 264 failed to start due to virtual services subsystem failure.  Package ID (89f42224-bd52-4948-b1cb-709f6c9d423f) Version ID (a795e5c1-6fd7-4569-a0fa-946d28082218)-Error 0x84000d2a-0x436.  This is the similar error I keeping getting (i.e network failure - application failed to launch with same error code).

• Edited by lanram Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:04 PM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Hello,

To understand which component actually fails, perhaps investigating the more in-detail debug logs should be the way forward?

http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=1247

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Every sequenced application fails to launch - keeping getting same error.  Don't know where and what to look for to resolve this issue.  I give up.......
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Hello,

That indicates that the infrastructure is not properly setup. I don't have the exact details how you setup your environment, but I would start to troubleshoot using the following process;

1. Verify against documentation that everything seems properly setup

2. Verify that the logs for Streaming-SMTHNG and potentially Client-SMTHNG does not give any indication of what the error could be.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Thanks Znack.  I will look into the logs for more info about the error.  To be honest when, I sequenced these apps yesterday they were working fine.  No issues whatsoever.  This morning, I wanted to test a few of them again and started to get these types of error for all sequenced apps. Not sure if the infrastructure setup was wrong.  Here is my setup.

Domain Controller - Server 2012

Database - SQL 2012

Management Server - Server 2012

Publishing Server - Server 2012

Sequencer - Win 8 Entp

Client - Win 8 Entp

If, I cannot find any solution to resolve this issue, I plan to scrap this home lab and rebuild the infrastructure on a single machine with all the roles (Database, Management & Publishing Server).  I am going to disable firewall completely to avoid any further issue as well.  

Did find an interesting site on how to deploy App-V on a single server.  Going to use this document for my new infrastructure build.

http://www.netdavidic.com/2013/01/implementing-app-v-50-full.html

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:09 PM
  • To be clear: It is the client machine account that needs read access to the share (and folder/files) when you use global publishing.  This is why Aaron suggested domain computers.  That you can access the share using a logged in user account is not the same thing.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Friday, April 05, 2013 2:52 PM
  • I am also having the same issue here.  Everything was working before just fine, then overnight it seems something has gone awry.  I checked the effective permissions for my client computer account and it has the ability to read and create to the package source directory.  The only thing that I changed was upgrading the client to SP1, so I am going to roll that back to see if it makes a difference. 

Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:20 PM
  • According to the Streaming-Filter log I get the following:

'Failed to open directory \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\system32\, error code 0xC0000043.

I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this further?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

I get the exact same behavior when I create a connection group with 3 individual packages.

Each individual package works fine. But the 3 applications in a connection group generate the described error with the package ID of the connection group.

I will investigate further and inform you with my findings. But if someone has a solution or an idea where to look, it would be appreciated.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Anyone ever get to the bottom of this. It has just started happening to me, out of the blue. Same error, same setup. I try and run a successfully published application from my App-V client Server and errors out.

It worked this morning fine.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:06 PM
  • I saw that issue yesterday myself. Looked like the application didn't cache completely. Uninstalling and Installing again using Software Center resolved my issue. Pretty strange issue but have only seen it once so far.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Hello,

Some investigation - based only on the original poster. As no one else has shared any details of their error - there is no investigation possible.

If someone else has a "similar" error, experience the same thing or believes that their error is the same as the original poster - they can repeat the steps aswell. If they have a different error in anyway - create a new thread with your specific details.

1. Error message states that a process failed to start due to;

"start due to Virtual Services subsystem failure"

This would indicate that the Virtual Services subsystem would fail.

2. As posted earlier there are several debug event logs that can be enabled. So find the Subsystem event-log for Virtual Services (where else togo?) (most likely named Subsystem-VServices)

Link posted earlier; http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=1247

Enable it

Repeat the error

Check the event-log

What does it say?

3. A suggestion has previously indicated that if a subsystem fails - you can simply disable it. See this blog-post that suggests the way todo it for Virtual Fonts.

You may apply the same procedure and techniques for the Virtual Services subsystem

Link: http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualworld/archive/2013/05/24/app-v-5-0-error-virtual-fonts-subsystem-failure-on-first-launch.aspx

4. Does your package contain virtual services?

Are those vital for the application run?

What happens if you start those manually?

5. If taking the last digits of the error-code (0x436) and typing NET HELPMSG 436 into a command-prompt you get the error code translation;

"The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name."

is that relevant to the situation in anyway? If not, why not?

If you experience anything remotely similar to the virtual services subsystem failing - please post the details and findings of each of the suggested solutions.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Nicke,

Sorry you make a fair point. Let me tell you how I fixed my issue.

I recreated my Connection Group. I also ensured I didn't publish Office 2010 and Office 2013 in the same connection group. I now no longer get the error.

HTH

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:13 AM