none
Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization question

Question

• Hello,

I'm wondering about the proper way to set up a Forefront Synchronization service management agent to import a userid and phone number. 

The datasource contains userid, phonenumber, and an IsPrimary field.  So I plan to include a filter to allow only the primary phone number to be imported.  The problem is that this primary phone number can change.  So when that happens I need to disconnect the object and allow the new primary record to import and connect. 

What would be the best approach for this?   Or am I approaching it wrong already?

thanks!
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Brett,

You can use a SQL View as your datasource. So, if you create a view:

SELECT UserID,PhoneNumber FROM PhoneTable WHERE IsPrimary = 1

You can use that as your datasource and join on the UserID. FIM should be able to take care of the rest without you having to do anything with the connectors.

Thanks,

Sami

• Marked as answer by Brett Olson Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:37 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi.

What's your datasource? Is it possible to filter out the values without "IsPrimary"?

Then, you could just join on User ID and when the datasource is updated, the new record with "IsPrimary" will be the only one for the user and the number can be udpated.

Just a thought...

Thanks,

Sami

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:18 PM
  • The datasource is a sql table.  I can filter out the values without IsPrimary.  Here's a simple picture of the data:

UserID/PhoneNumber/IsPrimary

UserID1/6120001111/1

UserID1/6121112222/0

UserID1/6122223333/0

UserID1/6123334444/0

So it's same user, different phone numbers, only one can primary.  This is enforced by the application sitting on the sql table.  The application actually inserts a new row in the sql table when the primary number is changed or a new one is added.  This means I need to change my connector to the new primary database record. 

Thanks! 

Brett Olson

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Hi Brett,

You can use a SQL View as your datasource. So, if you create a view:

SELECT UserID,PhoneNumber FROM PhoneTable WHERE IsPrimary = 1

You can use that as your datasource and join on the UserID. FIM should be able to take care of the rest without you having to do anything with the connectors.

Thanks,

Sami

• Marked as answer by Brett Olson Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:37 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Thanks Sami, that's a great idea!  I will look into that now.

Brett Olson

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:53 PM
  • This is working and I'm very happy it's a simple solution.  Hopefully this will fit into our overall process but I'd consider this good. 

Thank you!!

Brett Olson

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Great! Glad it is working for you. :)
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:04 PM