[Internet Explorer] Google Search Results are Not Shown Up in Metro Style Internet Explorer. No Display Problems in Desktop Internet Explorer

General discussion

• Hello,

Recently I started experiencing problems when working with Google using Metro style Internet Explorer. The search results don't get shown and the web page looks like this:

When opening the same request paqe in Desktop Internet Explorer, there appear to be no problems with displaying the output:

I've got accustomed with Metro style browser and use it on a regular basis and it doesn't seem a good sign for a Release Candidate provided how little it is left to October, 26th. Is it just a temporary problem or it is a local problem?

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:47 PM

All replies

• I have also experienced this issue and logged it as a bug with Microsoft Connect on feedback of IE10 

Bug ID 754732 Opened 20/07/2012

Steps to reproduce the issue.
    Open IE 10 in desktop mode. 
    type something in the address bar to click add to add search provider
    Add a search provider and choose google.
    tools > manage Addons > Search Providers
    Move google to the top of the list so that it becomes the default search in the metro Version.
    (another bug if its selected as default its still not default in the Metro version of IE10 it needs to be 1st in the search order). 
    Ensure Search in the address bar is ticked
    Now Open IE10 from the Metro interface
    Right Click the screen to get the address bar appear at the bottom of the screen
    Type a search term in the address bar at the bottom of the screen
    The result is Results will be returned.
    All good so far now type something in the google search field  (overtype what you have just searched)  
    Don't use the address bar search at the bottom.
    Click the blue Google Search button.
    No results are returned

note if you type slowly in the google search box it wil auto populate the search results as you type.  (this is why it would appear intermittent).  type fast and then click the blue search icon no results are returned

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:10 PM
  • I've seen some failures in the desktop IE lately on the Google search results page (I have no interest in the Metro IE myself).  The code Google runs in their search results page is quite complex, and it's pretty clear it's been changing.

Given that Google almost certainly has no love for Microsoft, and that they have their own Chrome browser, is it any wonder that they have coded their pages so as give trouble to Internet Explorer, especially in the somewhat oddball Metro environment?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:03 PM
  • It's the JS for the page. I don't see any way to resolve this as an individual. This will likely either require a fix from Google or Microsoft.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:17 PM
  • This alone is rendering Metro IE unusable as the main day-to-day browser. To compound issues, the only other metro alternative: Chrome Dev Channel, despite being currently very unpolished - currently has issues not being able to correctly display Facebook, so it seems we are in a Catch-22.

Do we have any confirmation that either Google or Microsoft are aware of this issue and are working on a fix?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Seriously, where is the incentive for either company to fix this?

As stated above, the problem is with Google's web page

Google doesn't want you to be using IE.  They want you to use Chrome.

Microsoft doesn't want you to be using Google.  They want you to use Bing.

You need to start getting out of the habit of expecting software to all just work together.  The world is no longer a big, happy software place - we've entered the "cash in on the sheep" phase of corporate software development.

-Noel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Ha!  Serves you right for not using Bing!!

/trollface

:D

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:36 PM
  • >Seriously, where is the incentive for either company to fix this?

There's not much incentive for Microsoft to do it but I don't think
    they are the responsible one here.

For Google, they have the best incentive in the world -- their whole
    business model is for you to have your eyes on their pages.  If you
    can't see their content, you go away and they lose eyes, and thus what
    they can charge for advertising.  Google isn't so stupid that they
    think they could convert everybody to Chrome without losing money in
    the meantime.  I don't even like Chrome, so they'd lose my eyes all
    together.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Likewise, I consider Google software about on par with malware myself, and I wouldn't use Chrome on a bet except for web page development testing, BUT - Chrome has gathered a big chunk of users.  My July web site stats show Chrome has 23.2% of users while IE has 33.5%.  That's not exactly small change.

And whether or not Google's ad business might take a bit of a hit (which isn't a given; I'm willing to debate your point), it would be to Google's advantage to gum up the works a bit for the Windows 8 release for any number of reasons.  Think about who's competing with what here.

-Noel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I just can't agree, Google has the more to lose, but it's not worth
    arguing about.

fwiw, I agree with you about Google stuff being more like malware,
    that's the biggest reason I don't like it, I've seen too many problems
    caused.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Confirmed Workaround:

Turn off Instant Search in the settings cog, and all functionality returns. 

Also as to the note about incentives:

-> Metro IE not working on Google.com (the most used website in the world), would be a mighty easy way for Microsoft to lose a huge chunk of their userbase to Chrome/Firefox. The first I did when Google stopped working, was install Metro Chrome.

-> Google loses out on ad revenue from the other chunk of people who just switch to Bing.

So it seems like there is plenty incentive to get this fixed.

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:19 AM
  • I am using Chrome as a substitute. Gee, I need three browsers just to browse standard HTML + scripting; gimme back my Mosaic, chances are it'll manage better with all that stuff?! Except for scripting for sure... but do I need it when it's not working? Questionable.
    So yeah, I use Chrome. Two of them. Standard one and Calibri. You know what. None is working stable. Both have problems with displaying GOOGLE web sites! The annoying one with invisible graphical element hiding the top-most page from you and interfering with filling forms, etc., anything displayed on top of the web page. They've fixed just this morning.

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:26 AM
  • The Google Chrome display issue with YouTube is back and reproduced (notice the top-right triangle-shaped gray area hiding the web page):

The same display glitch on another search engine site:

What on Earth is going on with graphics and text rendering here on the Windows 8 planet? I am starting to think this also may be connected with video drivers.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:52 AM
  • That's just a progress bar showing the infection process at work.  ;-)

-Noel

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:48 AM
  • That's just a progress bar showing the infection process at work.  ;-)

-Noel

I wish it was but it's not...

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Seriously, where is the incentive for either company to fix this?

As stated above, the problem is with Google's web page

Noel

Configure The Windows 8

Sorry to correct you on this, but this isn't a Google problem. The Metro IE is obviously missing some functions the desktop IE has. Either some HTML 5 or Java Script code isn't usable in Metro at all, not only on the Google page.

Let me give you a really easy example:

Use the Metro IE, open this thread, scroll up and try to change the language. If you click on United States (English) or whatever language you are using, it doesn't work. There should be a popup where you can choose other languages, but it isn't shown. On the other hand if I use the desktop IE it is working correctly.

So to summarize it: A Microsoft Browser isn't capable to use a function on a Microsoft programmed website. Still a Google problem? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to use Chrome or something like that. But if someone or something isn't responsible for a problem, I don't want him or it to get the blame.

• Edited by S_Kuwahara Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:17 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:14 PM
  • You can see I easily made a blank Google page in the desktop IE above.  It's even doable in IE9.

Whether there are problems on a Microsoft site too that trigger IE10 Metro issues, well, that's possibly another issue.  There's no law that says software has to have just one bug.  I certainly won't deny that there can be (are) many problems with IE10, not least of which is they no longer do font smoothing properly.

Your gun misfires.  Is the the gun or the ammo?  Or both?

-Noel

Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Yes. If you type that exact search term into Google on IE9, or IE10 you get a blank page. This is also true for Firefox, Opera and Chrome. That is given and you, me and most certainly everyone else can reproduce that. I will go further: Every search that you start with "site:<domain>" will not show a result while typing.

This is indeed proof, that this behaviour comes from Google itself, not from the browser.

But does that show, that there is a bug? No. Google even gives an explanation to that: 

Confidence

The autocomplete algorithm tries to show you results as you type only when it has a high confidence that the results will be useful. If you're not seeing Google Instant results after typing the first few letters of your search, try typing a few more. If that doesn't work, sometimes you have to press Enter to see results. The algorithm may not be confident that any particular set of results will be relevant to your search.

Quoted from http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=186645

Search terms starting with "site:" seem to have results with very low confidence levels, so Google doesn't show them without clicking or using the Enter key.

That's the way the algorithm works, not a bug.

So we have our search term and a blank Google page, what now? Well Google tells us to press Enter, let's do that. And after pressing Enter I see the search results on IE9, IE10, Firefox, Opera and Chrome. But this doesn't work at all for Metro IE10.

To summarize that again: According to Google documentation this behavior is normal. If you read the manual and press Enter it is working for every browser except Metro IE10. So it has to be a Metro IE10 bug.

I certainly won't deny that this Google Instant feature is sometimes driving me crazy. But again: This time it is the Metro bug, not Google.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to start a (gun?)fight. Quite the contrary, I really like the Metro IE10. I find myself using it more and more during my Windows 8 evaluation, because working with it is really fast and intuitive. But it obviously has a bug. And I want that bug fixed. And no one is going to fix the bug, if everyone would say it is Googles fault, not the fault of Metro IE10.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:07 AM
  • When I tried hitting return on the page I pictured above it actually did nothing - in Desktop IE10 or IE9.  That was a few days ago; I don't know if it's still that way.

This all really says little except that Google's search results page is just implemented in a way that's difficult for browsers to handle.  Microsoft's code is pre-release, but Google's code seems to be the work of hackers on their best day, so who's really at fault?

In my opinion trying to return instant results based on each character typed is a waste of resources, and is mind-jarring to use anyway.  I don't want stuff changing on the page on which I'm typing, so the workaround listed above is a great solution as far as I'm concerned.  I thought I had had it set that way, but my setting was probably lost at some point due to cookie deletion or something.

You might have noticed I also happen to have a separate search box on the IE desktop window that I've added courtesy 3rd party software.  That always works - remarkably well - and I personally find it an even better way to solve the issue of entering search queries.  There's no capability to augment the Metro IE UI to do that, as far as I can see.

Best of luck using Metro apps.

P.S., do you realize that all of Google's script code is obfuscated (meaning it's practically impossible to read the scripts to determine what they do)?  I seriously doubt Microsoft will want to try to take the time to deal with such code in order to try to investigate this issue.  And somehow I doubt anyone at Google is going to give them the time of day if they call them up and ask for the real sources.

-Noel

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:47 AM