none
MDT and UserData

Question

• I ran a task sequence and it detected a "refresh" as I was hoping and after it was all done it did backup the user data. This morning I went to check and the monitor says it was on step 52 of 88 but was unresponsive. I'm able to remote desktop in and do work on the machine. Is there anything I can do to get it to run the restore state? Should I reboot it? 
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:38 PM

All replies

• The most typical reasons for it to appear frozen (but the machine works) is either the NIC driver didn't load (which I'd discount since you can RDP in) or the Bootstrap didn't pick up the Task Sequence process after the machine was imaged and rebooted.  Do you know what step 52 is roughly in your Task Sequence and what's right before it?  If all you need is the data and you have the MIG created by USMT (either local or on a UNC share), you can manually restore the data with LoadState.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:32 PM
  • I ended up just running the ZTIUserData /restore and ZTIGroup /restore. These ran without any issues. I think 52 could be recover from domain or maybe post-apply cleanup. Does MDT usually delete the backup or USMT data after it restores? I noticed the wim file that was created is still on the machine. 
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:58 PM
  • so i rebooted a few times but nothing seemed to happen. I did a chkdsk /r and then it rebooted and the windows 7 product key screen came up and then it started doing the post-apply cleanup and did the rest of the steps. I'm not sure why it didn't kick off before.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 3:39 AM
  • Only way to know would be to dig through the logs.  And I don't believe MDT will delete the backup files after restore.  It might if it's hardlink and part of LTICleanup, but it definitely shouldn't if it was on a UNC share.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, July 05, 2013 3:45 AM