none
Server Manager fails to load with the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

Question

• I'm at a dead end on this.  I can't find anything online that involves this error and the Server Manager and I cannot find anything in the event viewer being generated from this error.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• Is this the only installation from the media?  Maybe you had bad media?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Is this the only installation from the media?  Maybe you had bad media?

This is a new problem on a server that has been up and running for a few months.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Then the question becomes, what changed?  physical or virtual?  If virtual, did you have something like a floppy file attached to the the floppy drive or a ISO file attached to the CD/DVD drive and that file is no longer where the virtual machine thinks it is? 

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi,

An attached device is not working for one of these reasons: (1) it is switched off, or connected improperly; (2) the floppy disk and drive types are incompatible; (3) the floppy disk is not properly inserted in the drive; (4) the drive door is open; or (5) the floppy disk is not properly formatted.

In addition, please also refer to the below article:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7ef4db6c-4a73-42e7-b79e-cacd41365442/faq-how-do-i-resolve-file-conflicts

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:08 AM
  • Can you try the following.

Open Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges. Then type the following 2 commands. The first one will just go to the next prompt, the second will open Device Manager.

Set Devmgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices=1

Devmgmt.msc

On Device Manager, click on View on the Menu Bar and check "Show Hidden Devices". See if you find any hidden devices. They are always greyed out (you will be able to figure them out).

Other than RAS Async Adapter under Network Adapters, it would be safe to uninstall any others listed (Greyed out only) . Then open Server Manager Again.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Monday, July 15, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Then the question becomes, what changed?  physical or virtual?  If virtual, did you have something like a floppy file attached to the the floppy drive or a ISO file attached to the CD/DVD drive and that file is no longer where the virtual machine thinks it is? 

It's a physical server and the only thing that's changed in the last month or so, other than updates, is adding drives to the windows server backup schedule.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Can you try the following.

Open Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges. Then type the following 2 commands. The first one will just go to the next prompt, the second will open Device Manager.

Set Devmgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices=1

Devmgmt.msc

On Device Manager, click on View on the Menu Bar and check "Show Hidden Devices". See if you find any hidden devices. They are always greyed out (you will be able to figure them out).

Other than RAS Async Adapter under Network Adapters, it would be safe to uninstall any others listed (Greyed out only) . Then open Server Manager Again.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Thanks for the suggestion.  I went ahead and uninstalled all of the non-present devices (except the RAS Async Adapter) and I am still getting the same message and Server Manager fails to open.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:42 PM
  • The Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has an error. 

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Go ahead and right click on Teredo... and uninstall it.

Then on device manager, you then need to click the action tab at the top and click add legacy hardware
    then click next and next again it will then scan and find nothing click next on the screen after that.
    Wait a minute and you will see a list of hardware appear, scroll down and choose network adapters then click next, then from the left column choose Microsoft then in the right hand column scroll down and choose Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, then click next and this will install it.

To check just make sure it is set to show hidden devices, right click on device manager on the right and click view then show hidden devices.

You would not need source files for this.

Then go to the properties of the Teredo and see if it is functional.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Go ahead and right click on Teredo... and uninstall it.

Then on device manager, you then need to click the action tab at the top and click add legacy hardware
    then click next and next again it will then scan and find nothing click next on the screen after that.
    Wait a minute and you will see a list of hardware appear, scroll down and choose network adapters then click next, then from the left column choose Microsoft then in the right hand column scroll down and choose Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, then click next and this will install it.

To check just make sure it is set to show hidden devices, right click on device manager on the right and click view then show hidden devices.

You would not need source files for this.

Then go to the properties of the Teredo and see if it is functional.

After doing this, the Teredo Tunneling Adapter is still giving Code 10. I stil wasn't able to open the Server Manager when the Tunneling Adapter was uninstalled, so I don't think it's related. I believe I have always had this error even when Server Manager was working.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:53 PM
  • On one server I run into the same situation recently.

It's now functioning again, but I'm not sure, if it was the installed set of Windows updates or the subsequent reboot, which solved the issue.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:05 PM
  • I get this message a lot of times on server 2012, and a reboot is the only thing that fixes it.  Very annoying on production machines.  Haven't ever seen it on 2012 R2.  I think from now on I'm just going to recommend never installing a Server OS without R2 in the name.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:26 PM
  • I just had this happen on a Server 2012 R2 Standard running as a Hyper-V guest on Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. The only changes made were the July 2014 Windows Updates.

Using the set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and then starting devmgmt.msc and deleting the hidden grayed out services followed by a reboot fixed it.  Both steps were required.

• Edited by Mike Ober Friday, July 11, 2014 3:42 PM Added fix action.
    Friday, July 11, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Have seen the behavior again after installing Windows Updates on one of the Servers 2012.

Did nothing else than another reboot this time and the issue went away.

Olaf

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:04 PM
  • I have the same problem on 3 DCs running W2012R2. Only reboot fix it actually.

Does somebody have an idea what causes this and how to fix without a reboot?

Regards Dirk

• Edited by -Dirk- Monday, July 21, 2014 10:30 AM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 10:29 AM
  • I assume during the update configuration in the reboot process some file is in use or being replaced, which is needed by the OS in an early stage of boot process and due to its inavailability causes the issue.

It's only crystal ball analysis ;-) (Anyway, better than a BSOD.)

Olaf

Monday, July 21, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Yes, maybe, but they all got a reboot after last Windows Updates.

I wonder that only my DCs are affected, the normal W2012R2 Servers are not.

I had the same problem a half year ago. At that time it was because of my Trend Micro AV which was not appoved for new W2012R2 installations, only for updates. In the meanwhile it is released for all W2012R2 installations.

Viele Grüße Dirk

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:16 PM
  • Olaf,

as an MVP Windows Server - can you point Microsoft at this issue?

Viele Grüße Dirk

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Olaf has asked. Waiting to see what the Server Team has for an answer or suggestions.

Steven Banks [WSSMB MVP] Banks Consulting Northwest Inc. http://www.banksnw.com Puget Sound Small Business Server User Group http://www.pssbs.org

Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Thats great - thank you both!

Viele Grüße Dirk

Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:39 PM