none
Prepopulate Domain Name & OU in User Driven Installation based on customsettings.ini?

Question

• I'm able to dynamically set and prepopulate the the computer name based on the customsettings.ini file I have and would now like to prepopulate the domain and the organizational unit (OU) but am not having any luck.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the contents of the customsettings.ini file:

[Settings]
    Priority=StdSerial, ByLaptop, ByDesktop, ByVM, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty, ComputerSerialNumber

[StdSerial]
    ComputerSerialNumber=#Right("%SerialNumber%",7)#

[ByLaptop]
    subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%

[ByDesktop]
    subsection=Desktop-%IsDesktop%

[ByVM]
    subsection=VM-%IsVM%

[Desktop-True]
    OSDComputerName=SON-%ComputerSerialNumber%
    OSDDomainOUName=OU=Desktops,OU=Workstations,OU=SON,OU=Resources,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=com

[Laptop-True]
    OSDComputerName=SON-M-%ComputerSerialNumber%
    OSDDomainOUName=OU=Laptops,OU=Workstations,OU=SON,OU=Resources,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=com

[VM-True]
    OSDComputerName=SON-VM-#Mid(oStrings.GenerateRandomGUID,2,7)#
    OSDDomainOUName=OU=Virtual Lab,OU=Workstations,OU=SON,OU=Resources,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=com

[Default]
    OSDDomainName=sub.domain.com
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=NO
    SkipProductKey=YES

And here is a screenshot of the UDI Settings:

• Edited by RJ454ME Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:43 PM typo
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:08 PM

All replies

• I've even tried LDAP://OU=Virtual Lab,OU=Workstations,OU=SON,OU=Resources,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=com with no luck
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Checked the ZTIIGather.log after initiating the UDI on a client - I've included the bottom half below...  Bizarre because it picks up the correct variables according to the log, it just never populates the domain or OU fields in the UDI but successfully populates the computer name.

<![LOG[Property OSDDOMAINOUNAME is now = OU=Virtual Lab,OU=Workstations,OU=SON,OU=Resources,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=com]LOG]!><time="17:51:45.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Using from [VM-True]: OSDDOMAINOUNAME = OU=Virtual Lab,OU=Workstations,OU=SON,OU=Resources,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=com]LOG]!><time="17:51:45.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Property OSDDOMAINNAME is now = sub.domain.com]LOG]!><time="17:51:45.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Using from [DEFAULT]: OSDDOMAINNAME = sub.domain.com]LOG]!><time="17:51:45.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[------ Done processing CustomSettings.ini ------]LOG]!><time="17:51:46.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Remapping variables.]LOG]!><time="17:51:46.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Property TaskSequenceID is now = ]LOG]!><time="17:51:46.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Property DeploymentType is now = NEWCOMPUTER]LOG]!><time="17:51:46.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[Finished remapping variables.]LOG]!><time="17:51:46.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">
    <![LOG[ZTIGather processing completed successfully.]LOG]!><time="17:51:46.000+000" date="10-02-2012" component="ZTIGather" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIGather">

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Are they supposed to be custom Properties?

I think you are mixing them up with MachineObjectOU and JoinDomain

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Hi RJ454ME,

Did you manage to resolve this?

Regards

Chris.

Monday, November 12, 2012 12:50 PM
  • I stumbled upon this old thread whilst looking for an answer to the same problem.  I have discovered a solution that works for me, hopefully it will work for anyone else too.  The solution is to simply use a different variable name to populate the default value field. The variable value must be a full OU (ie: "OU=Laptops,OU=My New Computers,DC=domain,DC=local") from the list of OU's you have pre-populated in the combo box list.

Domain OU Combo Box

I create this variable in my task sequence before the UDI Wizard launches by using the MDT IsDesktop and IsLaptop variables to set the value of the variable to the OU I need, but I suspect you can do this with the CustomSettings.ini as well.

Regards,

Andy

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by MadLuka Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:09 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:09 PM
  • I resolved this in a similar way by using some logic from the Customsettings.ini based upon the machine type and geographic location which then determines which OU in which domain to place the machine.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:53 PM