none
Using MAP for licensing true-ups

Question

• Hi There,

I run a number of licensing true ups for customers to ensure they are in compliance. MAP is an integral component of this discovery to determine what Microsoft software is deployed in their environment. I currently then produce reports and spend a considerable amount of time dissecting the data to produce the correct number of licenses required (e.g. is the OS a physical or virtual, how may VM hosts are used for DC licensing, sql server licensing per core, no. cores etc....).

Is there (or will there) be a simpler way to gather this data? It would be great to have a "Licensing compliance" section which analysed the results and the output was simply, you need x licenses for server 2012 enterprise, standard, x for office professional, x for sql server 2012 standard, etc.. I can do it all manually but it would be great if I didn't have to.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 10:49 PM

Answers

• I don't think that you would obtain a definitive response from the MAP team on future 'features'.  Even at the desktop level, Microsoft licensing is 'conditional' on various 'usage rights'.  For example, VLA clients can 'redact' older versions of the same product found on the same device  ( Visio Pro 2012 & Visio Pro 2010).

for more complex products like SQL Server, you also have to take into account any 'non-license' states such as Cold backup, etc...... then there's the complexity behind the licensing 'rights' via Hosts  ( 'all-you-can-eat'), the fact that 'superior' editions can cover lesser editions  (which you can't do in Office).

Heck, even productline downgrade rights are outside the scope of MAP

We use MAP for effectively the same purpose as you, but it's fair to say that MAP wasn't built explicitly for SAM calculations.

We have a 'MAP' forum on linkedin for those in the SAM industry that rely upon MAP as the 'swiss army knife' for inventory; discussions there are more aligned to your current query.

Steve at AssetLabs

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

Primary purpose of MAP is migrations and not licensing:

"The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is an agent-less, automated, multi-product planning and assessment tool for quicker and easier desktop, server and cloud migrations. "

It will always contain enough details to produce data needed to evaluate and count licensing needs but highly unlikely will this ever be baked into it as it requires a significant amount of licensing logic that is simply out of the scope for this tool.

Be careful when using "out of the box" counts from MAP for true ups as sometimes MAP output will have the numbers wrong due to clients 'dirty' AD or simply over counting some instances (for licensing purposes). We extract it's data directly from the db and then feed it to our service that gets rid off all the miscounts and applies the proper licensing logic for us.

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:35 PM
  • I don't think that you would obtain a definitive response from the MAP team on future 'features'.  Even at the desktop level, Microsoft licensing is 'conditional' on various 'usage rights'.  For example, VLA clients can 'redact' older versions of the same product found on the same device  ( Visio Pro 2012 & Visio Pro 2010).

for more complex products like SQL Server, you also have to take into account any 'non-license' states such as Cold backup, etc...... then there's the complexity behind the licensing 'rights' via Hosts  ( 'all-you-can-eat'), the fact that 'superior' editions can cover lesser editions  (which you can't do in Office).

Heck, even productline downgrade rights are outside the scope of MAP

We use MAP for effectively the same purpose as you, but it's fair to say that MAP wasn't built explicitly for SAM calculations.

We have a 'MAP' forum on linkedin for those in the SAM industry that rely upon MAP as the 'swiss army knife' for inventory; discussions there are more aligned to your current query.

Steve at AssetLabs

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I had a feeling this might be the case but wanted to put the question out there anyway. I'll check out that forum on linkedin, thanks again

Ben Taylor MCITP

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:08 AM