none
Power View Report Tabs Not Refreshing

Question

• I am using Excel 2013 with PowerPivot and Power View enabled.  I'm still learning all the new terminology, so hopefully this will make sense.

I have an existing sample workbook from someone else.  I add a new "report" or "tab" by clicking the PowerView button.  When I go to look at another report and then come back to this report by clicking the tab, I see the same report I was looking at, even though the report should still be empty.  At one point, I had added a second tab, and I thought I was working on one, but later found the tables and charts I had created were on a different tab.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known "feature"?

Ann Weber

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:04 AM

Answers

• Sandy,

Thank you so much for trying to help. I wonder if the original file I was using had somehow become corrupt.  I am finding some odd behaviors that go away if I close and re-open the workbook.

The original workbook was from the files I downloaded with the MS Press book on Excel 2013, PowerPivot, and PowerView.  If I deleted the PowerView tabs that they already had in the report, I could add many new ones and never had a problem.  If I opened other files, I didn't have problems.

I'm also running inside of a virtual machine which also adds a level of complexity.

I'm going to call it a corrupted workbook unless I see it again somewhere.

Thanks again.

Ann Weber

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Ann

I appreciate you're new and am excited that you are learning all the new terminology.  Good for you for jumping into it!

I do need a bit of clarification on the exact steps you're doing - as I can't seem to replicate it - so I'm not sure if I'm doing the exact same as you.

Here's what I tried - please read through these steps and then modify according to what you're doing so that I can see if I can help you.

1. Open a Excel workbook with at least one Power View sheet
    2. Click Insert; Power View (a new sheet is created named 'Power View1' for example)
    3. Click on a different sheet (with a Power View report) by clicking on the sheet name at the bottom of Excel
    4. Click back on the sheet name 'Power View1'
    5. For me - when I go back here - I get the blank PV page with the watermark.

Also - please check what version you have - go to File; Account; and notice over on the right - it will say Version: 15.0.xxxx.xxxx - let me know what those numbers are.

Lets see if we can figure this out!

Sandy

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Sandy,

Thank you so much for trying to help. I wonder if the original file I was using had somehow become corrupt.  I am finding some odd behaviors that go away if I close and re-open the workbook.

The original workbook was from the files I downloaded with the MS Press book on Excel 2013, PowerPivot, and PowerView.  If I deleted the PowerView tabs that they already had in the report, I could add many new ones and never had a problem.  If I opened other files, I didn't have problems.

I'm also running inside of a virtual machine which also adds a level of complexity.

I'm going to call it a corrupted workbook unless I see it again somewhere.

Thanks again.

Ann Weber

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Great - please let us know if you see something out of the ordinary that is somewhat reproducible. :)

Sandy

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:07 AM