none
Sporadic problem: The report server has encountered a configuration error. Logon failed for the unattended execution account.

Question

• I have 2 reports that have subscriptions.   I am sporadically getting this error.   If it was really a configuration problem then I think I should get the error every time.     Does any one have any suggestions of what to look for?    I have not found any errors relating to this problem in the server logs.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi ClareD,

According to the error message, there is an unattended execution account specified on the report server. Based on my research, the issue always occurs when you are using incorrect login name and password. Such as the password expired. Please make sure you set the correct login name and password.

Besides, please double check if the user has the following permission on the reporting service database server:

• Public and RSExecRole roles for the  ReportServer database.
    • RSExecRole role for the master, msdb, and ReportServerTempDB databases.

If he does not have the permission, please try to grant the proper permission first. For more information, please refer to the article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159133.aspx

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:29 AM
  • Hello Katherine,

I scheduled the report to run every hour last night.     The subscription completed successfully  about half of the runs.    The report does not contain any external images and the delivery method is email.    It does contain an embedded image.   

When it fails, I get the same message "The report server has encountered a configuration error. Logon failed for the unattended execution account".

Since I have nothing external in the report, what is reporting services trying to access when it fails?

Thanks,

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Hi ClareD,

Unattended report processing refers to any report execution process that is triggered by an event (either a schedule-driven event or data refresh event) rather than a user request. The report server uses the unattended report processing account to log on to the computer that hosts the external data source. This account is necessary because the credentials of the Report Server service account are never used to connect to other computers.

In order to fix this issue, please refer to my first reply.

Regards,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 18, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hello katherine,

The login id and password are correct for the unattended user account.

The unattended user account has these assignments.

• Public and RSExecRole roles for the  ReportServer database.
    • RSExecRole role for the master, msdb, and ReportServerTempDB databases.

I really do want to stress that for the same report subscription that sometimes it runs successfully and sometimes I get the error 'The report server has encountered a configuration error. Logon failed for the unattended execution account'.

Monday, August 18, 2014 10:38 PM