none
SBS 2008 Slow Response

Question

• I have an SBS 2008 system that has been running fine for four years. It lost a mother board and was replaced last week. The system started back up with some minor issues; software not activated, different nic card, etc. Rerunning a couple of wizards and everything was fine. A day or two later I ran the BPA and corrected all the issues is had. The big one was SP3 for exchange. I let the system take all the available updates from windows update. 

Today is the first day back in service since this and they are experiencing period slow response from the server. Their primary application is timing out and outlook will ask for login information periodically. 

I see no errors on the server. I can set a workstation to ping the server using the -t option to continually ping. Normally the ping response is <1ms. When the server slows down, they average about 30ms with some up to 100ms. When the ping response returns to <1ms, the server is responding fine. 

I'm reasonably certain it's not a network issue. I can duplicate this result with multiple workstations. 

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:19 PM

All replies

• Take a look at the performance monitor under admin tools and run a system performance test. See if you get any red flags.

Gareth | IT Support Norfolk

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:39 PM
  • No red flags.

Monday, July 08, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Another odd symptom. I'm on a workstation with an RDP session into the server. I'm free running ping against the server from the workstations. I also have a command window pinging the server from the server's console. What the workstation ping get's delayed, the server pauses pinging it's self. Once the workstation ping is back to >1ms, then the server pings it's self again. This behavior happens when the command window is running as administrator or not.

So what ever is tying things up inside the server is holding up the execution of ping in the command window.

Monday, July 08, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Hi:

You did say you fixed all the errors/events in the BPA, right?  Have you updated the NIC drivers to the latest available, and if you are pinging by IP that sounds like a cause.  What if you ping 127.0.0.1 from the SBS?

If you are pinging by name, then look to DSN for resolution issues.

Also check network binding order.  Steps to get there are in help - binding order.  You want the "real" nic at the top of the list.

And, of course you could have a defective nic.  :-(

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:25 AM
  • The binding order has the physical adaptor first. As a note, when the mother board got changed, it changed the NIC so all the networking setup had to get reset. 

Also as a note, this system has IPV6 turned off in the registry. Unfortunately all the warnings about IPV6 came out after it was shut off in this system. Base on a couple of warnings that turning it back on would not solve the problems, I followed the directions to disable it in the registry. 

I think I was pinging from the workstation with an IP address. But even if it was an name, DNS may explain the slow ping, but not the slow resolution on everything else, files, remote access, etc.

Based on the process on the server stalling, I'm wondering if maybe it's a problem with task handling on the CPU. This is a new/refurbished motherboard.

I'm unable to duplicate the test I had remotely, so I'll post more in the morning.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:48 AM