none
Project 2007 and 2010 Coexisting?

Question

• I'm working with a company who has deployed and plans to stick with Project 2007.  As to upgrade for a few, IT has said they have to upgrade the entire company and that, of course, is too expensive.  Hundreds of licenses.

Before I re-install and use Project 2007 on my laptop, I'm wondering if it will work that people use their Project 2007 and give me 2007-style files, and I consolidate as master/submaster in Project 2007 format but using Project 2010 as client?

Has anyone experience making this work, or not work, as the case may be?  of course I'd rather not mix versions but my hands are tied to do the "right thing" for the moment.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

I wouldn't use 2010 to work on 2007 files routinely.

We upgraded the company incrementally to 2010, so for a while were working with both 2007 and 2010 at the same time. While I can't point to a specific, reproducible defect in the 2010 conversion process, we found strange things happening when we worked on 2007 files with 2010, for example, field definitions randomly dropping out. We can't prove definitively it was because we were using 2010 to edit 2007 files, but it did concur with the period we were working.

I've now got everyone working on 2010, and things are much more stable. It's very rare that we get a new defect with the core application.

Sorry I can't point to a definitive gotcha, but my gut feel based on our previous experience would be to avoid it - install 2007 on your own machine (it co-exists nicely with 2010) and have everyone working on the same version of the tool.

Hope that's helpful,

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob Schneider Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:23 AM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:10 AM
  • There is no license requirement to upgrade all or none that I'm aware of. If you get new users you can only buy 2013, but you can use that 2013 license to install 2007 or 2010 with that license.

ESSENTIAL. You must install SP3 for Project 2007 and if you are using master files I strongly recommend the latest Cumulative update for it as well as they were still fixing some master file bugs. SP3 introduced 2010 file compatibility and the CUs improved it. Project 2010 must have SP1.

Together this minimises any inter version issues. Linked Master files and Resource Pools are problematic enough as they are, so I would only use the same version for all projects in that pool or master. Try with mixed 2007/2010 but keep very good backups! Any over-writing, moving or renaming or use of a less than 99.9999% reliable network will cause file corruption sooner or later.

Happy scheduling!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:31 AM
  • Hi Rob,

just make sure, that ALL 2007 clients have at least applied this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2412260

"Consider the following scenario. You save a project file in the Microsoft Office Project 2007 (*.mpp) format in Project 2010. Then, you click the Save As button to save the project in Office Project 2007. In this scenario, when you reopen the project in Office Project 2007, the data in the project is corrupted."

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:13 AM

All replies

• In Project 2010 you can create a new plan and insert the Project 2007 files. Use "Save As" and save in Project 2007 format. This would keep the newly created master plan in 2007 format.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Thanks. Yes, that is what I am doing. Just checking if any "gotcha's" that would embarrass me by not working as expected.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I wouldn't use 2010 to work on 2007 files routinely.

We upgraded the company incrementally to 2010, so for a while were working with both 2007 and 2010 at the same time. While I can't point to a specific, reproducible defect in the 2010 conversion process, we found strange things happening when we worked on 2007 files with 2010, for example, field definitions randomly dropping out. We can't prove definitively it was because we were using 2010 to edit 2007 files, but it did concur with the period we were working.

I've now got everyone working on 2010, and things are much more stable. It's very rare that we get a new defect with the core application.

Sorry I can't point to a definitive gotcha, but my gut feel based on our previous experience would be to avoid it - install 2007 on your own machine (it co-exists nicely with 2010) and have everyone working on the same version of the tool.

Hope that's helpful,

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob Schneider Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:16 AM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Very helpful.  I'd love to get everyone to 2010 or at least the 3 or 4 people around me, but IT says all 200 licenses in entire company have to be upgraded to accommodate my need--hence they say "too expensive". I guess doing all at one time avoids the incremental upgrade you noticed, but it hampers what we are trying to accomplish.  

I'll put 2007 back on my machine and use that. (wanting to avoid that because I have a few key add-ins which don't work well with multiple versions of Project, best I can tell).

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Just occurred to me ... I'm thinking of working on 2007 files (reading and writing) from my version of 2010 ... notice any issues with that?  The 2007 used by others (since they are using that version).  I won't be "converting"--just using as-is.

• Edited by Rob Schneider Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:18 AM elaboration
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:17 AM
  • There is no license requirement to upgrade all or none that I'm aware of. If you get new users you can only buy 2013, but you can use that 2013 license to install 2007 or 2010 with that license.

ESSENTIAL. You must install SP3 for Project 2007 and if you are using master files I strongly recommend the latest Cumulative update for it as well as they were still fixing some master file bugs. SP3 introduced 2010 file compatibility and the CUs improved it. Project 2010 must have SP1.

Together this minimises any inter version issues. Linked Master files and Resource Pools are problematic enough as they are, so I would only use the same version for all projects in that pool or master. Try with mixed 2007/2010 but keep very good backups! Any over-writing, moving or renaming or use of a less than 99.9999% reliable network will cause file corruption sooner or later.

Happy scheduling!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:31 AM
  • Hi Rob,

just make sure, that ALL 2007 clients have at least applied this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2412260

"Consider the following scenario. You save a project file in the Microsoft Office Project 2007 (*.mpp) format in Project 2010. Then, you click the Save As button to save the project in Office Project 2007. In this scenario, when you reopen the project in Office Project 2007, the data in the project is corrupted."

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Rod, 

Thanks ... the "all" or "none" is driven by IT who only wants to upgrade "all" or "none" so that they can have the same version installed everywhere.  Thanks to Barbara and you for the pointers to the service patches which I hope I can get installed.  

This first pass of using Microsoft Project for this programme will be very simple and not need master/sub-master so much, so I'll probably insert instead.  I want to make some "dynamic" schedules but my hunch now that a step too far and I'll be happy to get some simple views of the integrated programme.  That being said, I don't ever use a network connection when using Project... always copy files from network server and open/save/close exclusively from c: drive.  Knock on wood, and with a strong backup regimen, I don't have experience with the corruption problem.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:23 AM