none
Client can map a network drive but programs can't browse to it

Question

• Greetings.  I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials and this problem has come and gone and come back again but I'm not sure what the solution is:

I have shares on the server. 

The client (Windows 8.1) can open the shared folder as a "Mapped Network Drive".  Explorer can open it, browse, modify.  However, Quickbooks can't browse to the drive on the client.  It does not "see" it. Neither can Firefox. This is on more than one client.  What I did on the client is added the folder as a "Network location" and this does allow the programs to see the share.  But I would like to know how to make mapped network drives stable and reliable.  If anyone has any insights, please let me know.  Thanks. 

Felix

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Felix,

Please navigate to the Network location and select this map network drive. Right click it and select Properties. In Properties panel, please select Security tab and check if you assign related permission correctly.

Based on your description, I understand this issue just occurred in those third-party applications (such as QuickBooks and so on). So, I find following solution in the QuickBooks website. Please check if can help you to solve this issue.

QuickBooks does not recognized the mapped network drive

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Felix,

Please navigate to the Network location and select this map network drive. Right click it and select Properties. In Properties panel, please select Security tab and check if you assign related permission correctly.

Based on your description, I understand this issue just occurred in those third-party applications (such as QuickBooks and so on). So, I find following solution in the QuickBooks website. Please check if can help you to solve this issue.

QuickBooks does not recognized the mapped network drive

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:39 AM
  • Thank you, Justin.  I will sure be following up on those suggestions tonight when I have full access to the clients.  
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:28 PM