none
How can I remove sqlwvss.dll?

Question

• I began trying to upgrade from SQL Server 2008 Express to SQL Server 2012 Enterprise, I was having LocalDB failures I could not resolve, so I decided to uninstall and start over with a clean install.

I've run windows uninstaller, manually deleted files and folders left over in the windows explorer, ran PC Tools registry mechanic to correct registry errors.  Manually removed SQL registry in regedit.

I'm left with this one final path with two files I've not yet been able to remove.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared >sqlwriter.exe and sqlwvss.dll

These are the last two files left I would like to find out how to remove these before I try to reinstall SQL Server 2012 Enterprise again.

I'm a second year CIT student and need this program for class, we're 3 weeks into the term so I'm pretty determined to get this to work very soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linda

Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:10 PM

Answers

• There are two thing that I would try.   Microsoft has a nice little tool to help uninstall programs that I have found quite useful.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/?wa=wsignin1.0

If that doesn't work, I would boot the machine into safe mode and completely delete the folder at the Microsoft SQL Server folder level.

As a side note the new version of SQL will install to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110 so it shouldn't conflict with that installation.

Good luck Linda!

• Edited by Jeremy D Allen Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jeremy D Allen Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by LindaTBL Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:04 AM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies

• There are two thing that I would try.   Microsoft has a nice little tool to help uninstall programs that I have found quite useful.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/?wa=wsignin1.0

If that doesn't work, I would boot the machine into safe mode and completely delete the folder at the Microsoft SQL Server folder level.

As a side note the new version of SQL will install to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110 so it shouldn't conflict with that installation.

Good luck Linda!

• Edited by Jeremy D Allen Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jeremy D Allen Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by LindaTBL Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:04 AM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Hello,

Try to disable the service using the Services applet in Control Panel, then you may be able to uninstall it. Try to use Control Panel to remove it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Thank you!  

I'll keep the fix-it tool handy, but because this is a free download from DreamSpark, I did not have the product ID to run the tool.

I did use safe-mode to delete the last of the files, and I and running a clean install now.  

Edit:

After deleting, I restarted and ran PC Tools/Registry Mechanic in Deep Scan mode.  It did find and fix many registry errors.  Only after fixing registry errors did I reinstall SQL Server 2012 Enterprise.

I highly recommend using a registry utility, CCleaner is free  http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

• Edited by LindaTBL Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:28 PM Add registry fix after safe mode delete.
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:16 PM