none
How SCOM is better solution for monitoring Microsoft Exchange and Windows AD over other available monitoring products in market ( BMC,CA,HP,ManageEngine) ?

Question

• Hi,

We have IT evironment with LINUX,Windows as OS with HP ,DELL hardware for servers and EMC for Storage  and Cisco for networking. We have HP NNMi,PRTG, BMC Performance manager( and BPPM),SCOM, vCenter for ESX for Monitoring environment.

1. I want to justify/give busines case  how SCOM is imp and needed for MS products availability and performance
    2. How I can replace some of existing monitoring tools by configuring SCOM to monitor VMWARE, Hardware level monitoring and Citrix platform.
    3. Can I use SCOM to monitor Oracle Databases like the way Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid does ?
    4. Benefits and drawbacks of SCOM

Please advice on SCOM high level capability,features and usability .

Thanks in Advance

Avinash

Avinash S. ITIL,PMP

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. The needs for installing SCOM depends on your demands and your environment. Do you require full redundancy for the solution? A normal installation of around 100-200 servers and some network devices (at least that´s normal in Sweden) will run fine on just a Management Server and a database server. If you need full redundancy then you need to go for clustered SQL Server and multiple Management servers.

2. For VMware and Citrix monitoring, you can monitor them both from SCOM by using third part MP's. For VMware you should be using Veeams solution. I have written an article about the first release which you can find here. After this post, 6.0 has been released and 6.5 is upcoming later in october. 

When we´re talking about Citrix monitoring, ComTrade has a great solution for you. Read more about it here. With their solution, you can monitor XenApp, XenServer, XenDesktop, Provisioning services and Web Interfaces. The Netscaler MP is about to be released as well.

3. Yes, using Bridgeways MP this is possible. Read more about it here.

4. A huge benefit is the Management Packs available where all of the Microsoft MP's are free. The huge amount of third part MP's are also a benefit. There are MP´s for everything between hardware (DELL, IBM etc.) and simple PING mp´s.

Another huge benefit is one console for the monitoring of servers, network devices and everything else.

When it comes to competitors to SCOM i dont know much about the others than ManageEngines solution which is more of a network monitoring solution only.

Any other questions? Just let us know.

Regards,

Daniel

IT Consultant at Viridis IT

• Marked as answer by avindia Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. The needs for installing SCOM depends on your demands and your environment. Do you require full redundancy for the solution? A normal installation of around 100-200 servers and some network devices (at least that´s normal in Sweden) will run fine on just a Management Server and a database server. If you need full redundancy then you need to go for clustered SQL Server and multiple Management servers.

2. For VMware and Citrix monitoring, you can monitor them both from SCOM by using third part MP's. For VMware you should be using Veeams solution. I have written an article about the first release which you can find here. After this post, 6.0 has been released and 6.5 is upcoming later in october. 

When we´re talking about Citrix monitoring, ComTrade has a great solution for you. Read more about it here. With their solution, you can monitor XenApp, XenServer, XenDesktop, Provisioning services and Web Interfaces. The Netscaler MP is about to be released as well.

3. Yes, using Bridgeways MP this is possible. Read more about it here.

4. A huge benefit is the Management Packs available where all of the Microsoft MP's are free. The huge amount of third part MP's are also a benefit. There are MP´s for everything between hardware (DELL, IBM etc.) and simple PING mp´s.

Another huge benefit is one console for the monitoring of servers, network devices and everything else.

When it comes to competitors to SCOM i dont know much about the others than ManageEngines solution which is more of a network monitoring solution only.

Any other questions? Just let us know.

Regards,

Daniel

IT Consultant at Viridis IT

• Marked as answer by avindia Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed response Daniel,

I sincerly appriciate it.

Regards

Avinash

Avinash S. ITIL,PMP

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the information you have shared around SCOM. This is good if you want to have SCOM as a Single console using SCOM MS MP's or third parities MP.

I am sharing my findings here what I heard from technical teams. Monitoring team face challenge when they want to integrate SCOM with other monitoring tools.

Example BMC Portal Server monitoring tool is suite from ProactiveNet Performance Managemente (BPPM) which is our central monitoring tool. If I want to integrate SCOM with BPPM for unified console (so I should be able to manage SCOM monitoring parameters and alerts from BPPM console), It did not work even by involving BMC amd Microsoft  support team.

We want to stick with BPPM as central console as it  has more imp functionality like

Predictive Analytics by doing baselining of usage

Enrichment of error events before it goes to Users mailbox

Integrate with ITSM tool for autocreation of Incident tickets based on rule sets

pull CI data from CMDB in relation to error event

Are these features available in SCOM ?

Avinash S. ITIL,PMP

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:14 AM