none
SBS 11 Exchange Management Consoloe Error

Question

• When opening the EMC it starts to initialize but fails mid-way through. I get the following error:

Initialization Failed

The following error occured when getting management role assignment information for xxx.local/users/admin user

Processing data from the remote server failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.

This is a new error and not sure what changed that would have caused this error....any ideas?

Thank you

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

From the error message:

The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.

It seems that server is not reachable. Please make sure the Windows Remote Management Service is enabled.

Then could you please let me know whether the EMS could be opened or not, if the EMS could be opened, please run the following command below:

winrm qc

And share a snapshot with us about the WinRM returned result. If the EMS can’t be opened, please run the command in the command prompt with evaluated rights.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:41 AM
  • EMC and EMS both are not operational.

WRM service is enabled and running.

From an elevated command prompt:

WinRM is set up to receive requests on this machine

WinRM is set up for remote management on this machine

I did have to change the remote management setting - did this in my troubleshooting earleir today. Ran the quickconfig command.

Do you know if a reboot is needed after changing this right?

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Post back the output of command winrm/config/listener
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:23 AM
  • the exchange esrver is .155 (sbs 11 machine)

C:\Windows\system32>winrm e winrm/config/
    Listener
        Address = *
        Transport = HTTP
        Port = 5985
        Hostname
        Enabled = true
        URLPrefix = wsman
        CertificateThumbprint
        ListeningOn = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.22
    %15, fe80::5efe:192.168.0.22%13, fe80::5e
    e:1a3b%17, fe80::7d8f:c0f3:e9b3:f6db%17

Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Is default website started on the server ? configuration looks ok to me except this 192.168.0.22 ip address.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:51 PM
  • YEs - default website is started. the .22 address is an assigned DHCP from RAS via VPN connection.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 1:10 PM
  • actually .22 is the IP for the inernal RAS adapter. I disabled RAS and still same error with exchange
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Check if running EMTshooter helps:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/12/07/3411644.aspx

Also what happens if you create a new user with n/w admin privileges  from sbs console and login to the sevrer?

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:25 PM
  • hi all - after the reboot it is functioning correctly...thanks
    • Marked as answer by davidloc Monday, April 02, 2012 2:13 PM
    Monday, April 02, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Awesome!

Ths,

Js

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:10 AM