none
Office 365 Excel Power Query Preview Problem Signing In -- Appears Corrupted, Please Repair

Question

• The image below shows that Excel "thinks" I'm signed in with an organizational account that has Power BI Preview, yet Power Query from Excel doesn't think I'm signed in and says it's corrupted when I try to sign in.  I was trying to use the online search to find the odata feed that I have set up for Office 365 Power BI Preview.  So, alternatively, when I go to other data sources and specify the odata feed that is set up properly and available, Microsoft says "access forbidden".  Clearly, account credentials aren't being passed correctly.  I have read other posts on this forum and have verified that I have the latest Power Query Preview, that I only use lower case letters to sign in, that IE cache is clear.  I have repaired, uninstalled and re-installed Power Query Preview multiple times, with no change in this behavior. 

Any ideas?

Neil

Friday, January 03, 2014 7:13 PM

Answers

• I followed up with Neil offline to disable extended cert validation. After that, Neil is able to log in.

Qunshu

Clarification: Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.

• Proposed as answer by Andrew [MSFT] Friday, January 17, 2014 9:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by BCOE ITS Friday, January 17, 2014 9:58 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you try Signing out from power query and signing in again, do you see the same issue then?

Thanks

Zafar Abbas

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Zarar, yes, tried that, and much more. 

Even though Power BI is supposed to navigate through firewalls, I believe we are having firewall problems. 

I need to ask our network people to open up for Microsoft on this one, but there's no good information out there on the sites/IPs required to make Power BI Preview work. 

In addition, the complexity that comes with using domain credentials, Microsoft Account (live) credentials, and Organizational credentials (O365) on the same computer at various times of the day complicates matters.

That said, I can take my machine to my home network and get as far as attempting to connect to the odata feed I set up -- except the data source is on a computer with an internal IP and Power Query cannot resolve the local computer name -- i.e. x.x.local. 

So now, I have two questions:

1. What IPs need to be unblocked to make Power BI work?

2. Is there a way to get the odata feed to work when the datasource is on an internal network (the datasource is working and tests okay from Power BI Admin -- but does not resolve the machine name when coming in through Excel via the odata feed from an off-site location

Neil

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:18 PM
  • I am able to connect to my odata feed with Excel running in a Windows 8.1 tablet, but my Windows 7 laptop continues to tell me that power query preview appears to be corrupted.  I have used the same network connection for both machines for this test.  I have uninstalled the correct version of power query preview from the Win 7 machine, run repair on office pro plus 2013 on the Win 7 machine, and reinstalled the correct version of power query preview on the laptop win 7 machine -- no change.

I saved the Excel spreadsheet with the working power query from my Win 8.1 tablet onto my Office 365 BI Power Preview tenant, and then downloaded the spreadsheet onto my Windows 7 machine -- Excel shows that I am logged in to the Power Query Preview tenant (credentials are correct in upper right hand corner os spreadsheet), but is unable to refresh the data feed or sign in -- attempting to sign in gets me the "appears corrupted" message 

Neil

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:01 AM
  • I followed up with Neil offline to disable extended cert validation. After that, Neil is able to log in.

Qunshu

Clarification: Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.

• Proposed as answer by Andrew [MSFT] Friday, January 17, 2014 9:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by BCOE ITS Friday, January 17, 2014 9:58 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:49 PM