none
Deploying An Image Using MDT 2013

Question

• I am Deploying Windows 8.1 custom image to target computer via standard task sequence, I have 2 questions in regards to this -

1. Is it necessary to have the task sequence run past the apply operating system item in the task sequence.

2. How do I clean up the leftovers after deployment. I have tried clean up script but I think I am missing something as there are files left over.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:52 AM

Answers

• No, you don't.

The task sequence will (and should) continue to the remaining actions in the running windows OS (the actions in the State Restore phase). The task sequence is not completed in the Postinstall phase. The C:\_SMSTaskSequence folder should not be present when the task sequence completes, if it does, something is wrong in your setup.

The most common reason for the task sequence to abort in the middle is if you have an app that reboots the computer on it's own, without letting the task sequence know about it.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:52 PM

All replies

• I don't quite understand the first question, but it's the apply operating system action that applies your image to the hard drive. So yes, it's needed.

For the second questions, what type of left overs are you seeing?

I use the following script to clean up leftovers from the OSD / Task Sequence processes

Final Configuration for MDT 2013 Lite Touch, now with Autologon support
    http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/122/Final-Configuration-for-MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-now-with-Autologon-support.aspx

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:00 AM
  • C:\MININT and C:\_SMSTaskSequence folders, basically any left overs that MDT does not remove. the above article sounds like what I am trying to do, but I am trying to do this from a winpe standpoint
    Friday, December 27, 2013 10:22 AM
  • There is no point doing this from WinPE, the setup finishes in running Windows. The task sequence needs those folders until its completed.

If you are talking about deleting existing junk when redeploying an existing machine, I just use a vbscript in WinPE that prompts for deletion of the drive content when neeed. Please note that both MDT 2012 U1 and MDT 2013 has built-in logic for the WinPE part (redeployment) altready, and it's only in rare scenarios (third party disk encryption) you need an extra script.

/ Johan

Friday, December 27, 2013 10:57 AM
  • Ok, let me rephrase the question in detail. I have an image already set up with applications installed and captured into a wim file. Now my task sequence only really needs to apply the operating system and then clean up as the image is ready to use without further configuration from the user.

Hope this explains my scenario

Friday, December 27, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Then the article I posted is perfect, it was developed for exactly that scenario.

/ Johan

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:23 PM
  • this is where my clean up is needed after this there is nothing else to do. I have read the article and the script needs Windows to operate, as far as I can see any more ideas please.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:03 AM
  • No, you don't.

The task sequence will (and should) continue to the remaining actions in the running windows OS (the actions in the State Restore phase). The task sequence is not completed in the Postinstall phase. The C:\_SMSTaskSequence folder should not be present when the task sequence completes, if it does, something is wrong in your setup.

The most common reason for the task sequence to abort in the middle is if you have an app that reboots the computer on it's own, without letting the task sequence know about it.

/ Johan

Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Still can't get the task sequence to proceed once windows starts.

customsetting.ini is as follows :

Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=NO
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipSummary=NO

restart shown previous is the only restart, so what is going on. Also if I run the final config script manually the _smssequence folder is still there and there is a LTIBootstrap.vbs file in the root directory of the target computer.

• Edited by Ben Ramsay Friday, January 03, 2014 2:16 PM Add info
    Friday, January 03, 2014 2:13 PM
  • You mention that you can't get the Task Sequence to proceed once windows starts, however there is not enough information here to determine what the root cause is.  Is the OS booting? Did it AutoLogon? Did it start the litetouch.wsf script? Did MDT copy the correct files to the c:\minint folder? Do you have an unsuall partition configuration? What does the bdd.log file say?

Did you sysprep the image before capture?

MDT is designed to allow for the installation of the OS in a structured manner. If you have highly customized the OS that has everything ready after applying the image (drivers/apps/etc), then a basic WDS install may be a different model you can look at.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, January 06, 2014 6:08 AM