none
Windows 7 Power Users replacement

Question

• Hi

I want to be able to allow some engineers to have a middle ground between Local Admin and Standard User.

I don't want to give them Local Admin as that gives too much permission to the machine

I want the user to be able to install applications, printers, drivers and amend the network configuration 

I understand the Power User group on Windows 7 does not offer what it did on Windows XP, so that is pointless.

Can someone assist please.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is a truth that the power user group no longer exist since Windows Vista.

the decision was made in Windows Vista to remove these elevated permissions in order to promote more secure deployments of the operating system.

If you want to allow someone to perform the configuration tasks documented in this guide but not make them an Administrator, then you can make the user a member of the Network Configuration Operators group.

For detail, please see:

Use the Network Configuration Operators group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754921(v=ws.10).aspx

But the others such us install application, printers and drivers may cannot be accomplished without the administrator privilege.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

The reason why we need to create standard user account is to protect computer by preventing users from making changes that effect everyone who uses the computer.

If we don’t want to use GPO or other configuration first. The target may not be accomplished.

So we may need to give them administrator privilege for those specific requirements.

Regards,                

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:08 AM

All replies