none
Installing Tools on Clients

Question

• Hello,

I am looking to install SQL Server 2012 tools on a dozen or so client computers.  There are two servers set up with everything installed including the client tools.  This issue is going to all the client computers and manually installing the tools in a task that I wish to avoid.  Is there a way to push the client tools from the servers and automatically install it on the clients?

Michael R. Mastro II

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:26 PM

Answers

• Well I have created a ConfigurationFile.INI, a .bat file, and copied the DVD to a Server Share.  Now my next question, pushing this, can it be done through group policy or do I have to set the clients to reboot and run the bat on reboot?

Michael R. Mastro II

Hi Michael R.Mastrc,

According to your description, if you want to install SQL Server 2012 tools on multiple Servers, after the installation is completed in one Server, you can copy the configuration file to the other Server, and modify any configuration settings if required, then use this changed configuration file to install SQL Server 2012 tools on the other machines from the local folder. In every Server, you can specify the configuration file at the command prompt as follows.

Setup.exe /ConfigurationFile=MyConfigurationFile.INI

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 04, 2014 8:42 AM

All replies

• You have to mention the tools name in ini then in the batch file you can mention the server name and then you can execute..

http://simondrichards.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/sql-server-2012-automated-install-ini-feature-list/

Raju Rasagounder Sr MSSQL DBA

Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:32 PM
  • Hello 

See this thread. I believe it is already answered

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/sqlserver/en-US/aa89043c-553a-4ef0-90ef-0559bbfc34ea/how-to-install-sql-from-batch-file

Javier Villegas | @javier_villhttp://sql-javier-villegas.blogspot.com/

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Monday, July 28, 2014 1:01 AM
  • Well I have created a ConfigurationFile.INI, a .bat file, and copied the DVD to a Server Share.  Now my next question, pushing this, can it be done through group policy or do I have to set the clients to reboot and run the bat on reboot?

Michael R. Mastro II

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Michael R. Mastro II

Hi Michael R.Mastrc,

According to your description, if you want to install SQL Server 2012 tools on multiple Servers, after the installation is completed in one Server, you can copy the configuration file to the other Server, and modify any configuration settings if required, then use this changed configuration file to install SQL Server 2012 tools on the other machines from the local folder. In every Server, you can specify the configuration file at the command prompt as follows.

Setup.exe /ConfigurationFile=MyConfigurationFile.INI

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 04, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Well that didn't work as I wanted too, it kept asking for the DVD at each computer. I was looking for a one stop, let some other central located server push it out to the workstations that needed it without having to be there. Yes the Configuration INI file was modified to do that, but it would not find the setup files on the local machine.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, August 08, 2014 2:57 PM