none
Office 2013 KMS Server client count needed and manual activation?

Question

• I am rolling out Office 2013 and KMS at the same time.  I have KMS installed on 2012 server and it seems to be activating Windows Server 2012, Windows 8 and Windows 7 clients without issue (once I hit 25 threshold).  I am now trying to troubleshoot Office 2013 activation.  It appears my clients are either not upping count or are not asking server for activation?  They are all from a custom image where office was installed but never opened before sysprep /generalize.  Below is output of slmgr and ospp to help diagnose.  Thanks.

Here is output from server:
    C:\Windows\System32>cscript Slmgr.vbs /dlv all
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Software licensing service version: 6.2.9200.16384

Name: Office 15, OfficeKMSHostVL_KMS_Host edition
    Description: Office 15, VOLUME_KMS channel
    Activation ID: 2e28138a-847f-42bc-9752-61b03fff33cd
    Application ID: 0ff1ce15-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663
    Extended PID: 05426-00206-234-999897-03-1033-9200.0000-2332013
    Installation ID: 010633716895513095306564872211085445942432430693259445
    Use License URL: https://activation.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActiva
    teProduct.asmx?configextension=o14
    Validation URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=187557
    Partial Product Key: G98VW
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 1000
    Trusted time: 8/21/2013 5:00:21 PM

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine
        Current count: 2
        Listening on Port: 1688
        DNS publishing enabled
        KMS priority: Normal

Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients
        Total requests received: 31
        Failed requests received: 0
        Requests with License Status Unlicensed: 0
        Requests with License Status Licensed: 0
        Requests with License Status Initial grace period: 31
        Requests with License Status License expired or Hardware out of tolerance: 0

Requests with License Status Non-genuine grace period: 0
        Requests with License Status Notification: 0

Here is output from a sample client:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15>cscript ospp.vbs /act
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

---Processing--------------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:
    SKU ID: b322da9c-a2e2-4058-9e4e-f59a6970bd69
    LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeProPlusVL_KMS_Client edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: GVGXT
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F038
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product coul
    d not be activated. The count reported by your Key Management Service (KMS) is i
    nsufficient. Please contact your system administrator.
    ---Exiting-----------------------------

Brian Hoyt

Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

the general (documented) guidance is that you should always use ospprearm before you capture your images.

although it may seem like you don't need to worry about more than 5 KMSclients, you should find that issues may return, if any of these 5 unique clients are removed, your current count on the KMS would drop below threshold, re-introducing the problem.

The SPPSVC will automatically retry on a periodic basis, and the period is more aggressive/frequent if the product is in an unlicensed state.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:05 AM

All replies

• Apparently even though I never ran office before capturing image I still needed to run ospprearm to make ID unique.  Something to note for future images. Once I did that on 5 clients the KMS server activated.  Interestingly the other machines will activate fine without rearm once I hit the threshold.  I guess you only need unique ids to hit the 5 then KMS doesn't care.  On another question will office automatically try kms activation again on its own for those machines I already opened office on or do I have to run ospp /act on machines via script?

Brian Hoyt

Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:35 AM
  • Hi,

the general (documented) guidance is that you should always use ospprearm before you capture your images.

although it may seem like you don't need to worry about more than 5 KMSclients, you should find that issues may return, if any of these 5 unique clients are removed, your current count on the KMS would drop below threshold, re-introducing the problem.

The SPPSVC will automatically retry on a periodic basis, and the period is more aggressive/frequent if the product is in an unlicensed state.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking Don's reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:52 AM