none
How do i move my data and settings manually?

Question

• I now have SBS 2011 essentials installed in a vm within server 2008 R2 hyper-v for testing and learning.

When I connected my first pc with the server admin account which uses the same user name and password as my pc local admin - my pc user profile (data and settings) did not move to the network account.

there is a help link in online help http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs2011essentials/move-settings-data-1.aspx but there is not guidance on the problem.

Thank you for your help

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:21 PM

Answers

• Profile migration will only be supported for SKU’s that are domain joinable which will give you the option of migrating the local user profile to the new domain user. 

What OS did you join to the domain?    I wouldn't make the server admin the same as your local PC.  Log in as a user.

To move it manually just copy the data from the local profile up to the domain profile.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:24 PM

All replies

• Profile migration will only be supported for SKU’s that are domain joinable which will give you the option of migrating the local user profile to the new domain user. 

What OS did you join to the domain?    I wouldn't make the server admin the same as your local PC.  Log in as a user.

To move it manually just copy the data from the local profile up to the domain profile.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:24 PM
  • My OS is Win 7 Ultimate

I used the same credentials as my local PC account initially; not understanding the issues involved.

the instructs that I read said to use domain admin credentials from the pc you will be administering sbs from on the first connect.

I do not remember getting the option to move my profile to the network account.

I wonder how I might be able to back up and start again - and be able to access my original local PC user account.

I think there is an option to remove the connection application.

My outlook account is gone also. Sure, I could recreat it.

My goal is to learn how to install, configure, troubleshoot, migrate - do everything with this SBS Essentials because I would think there is a huge market for this product when combined with office365.

I am wondering if SBS 2011 E will be RTM'd in April. I am guessing that it will. Office365 may come later.

Thank you for your help.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:07 PM
  • I'm assuming Outlook in an OST/PST?  It's not gone, the OST/PST is still on the box.  I'd removed the connector and flip it back to a workgroup and try again.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:19 PM
  • and make sure you are logged in localy with the user you want to migrate, ansd use their actual user network account - not the admin account.
    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:00 AM
  • cool

this morning I fired up my client pc and I was able to opt to log in to my local pc account - all my stuff is still there - no problem

How do I "remove the connector"?

Then perhaps I could change the username of my existing local pc account - or add another domain admin account that uses a different user name and try again.

cheers and thank you

Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:51 PM
  • You don't remove the connector.  That's what hooks you into the backup program.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I know this is an old post but just in case some one does hit it - ForenSit Profile Wizard is the best way to move manually.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:47 PM