none
SharePoint 2010 Workflow Email task reminder

Question

• hello,

i am editing a OOTB sharepoint approval workflow, i want to send the person assigned a task a reminder 3 days before his task expires, ive used the following logic see the image below please,

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LLZ2p-E1e7k/Tm2kGZQq3LI/AAAAAAAAAEs/hCaBFhGNqOU/workflow.png

the problem is im not getting the email on the address ive given...what am i doing wrong ?

thanks

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:18 AM

Answers

• If you have set the due date to 09/27 and the reminder shows 09/24, the email reminder will not go out until 09/24. If you create a new task and set the due date to 09/17 then the reminder date will be set to 09/14 (which is today) and should go out. The reminder email will not go out until the Reminder Date = Today.

The pause is put in there so that the Task Workflow and Loop do not continue to run all day, everyday until your Reminder Date=Today. It isn't necessary for it to continuously run but best for it to run once per day.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• Workflow: Reminder before Due Date in Sharepoint 2010 

http://www.onlysharepoint2010.com/2011/06/due-date-reminder-workflow-in.html

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:57 AM
  • thanks for the reply...

im not getting the "Reminder Date" column in my current item in the workflow action..? any idea?

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Try:

Step 1: Add -3 days to Current Item:Due Date (Output to Variable: date)

*****Step 2: Pause until Variable:date

*********then Email MD

• Edited by BioGeneZ Monday, September 12, 2011 8:26 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:26 AM
  • I prefer to use SharePoint Timer Job to send task's reminder.

http://dotnetfinder.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/creatingcustomsharepointtimerjob2010/

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointdevelopment/thread/459adf1e-0f45-4c0d-820d-3079bb8b4e33

Also you can look on third-party alert system

Senior Software Developer - Virtosoftware - Premium Web Parts for Microsoft SharePoint 2007 & 2010
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:56 AM
  • still unable to run this properly, i guess its not picking up the correct date from the due date field in the initiation form parameter???
    Monday, September 12, 2011 10:36 AM
  • I had similar issues with due date reminders on a list. I finally just gave up and created a separate workflow "loop" that runs after the first workflow. It paused for 23hrs 55 minutes and then restarted the orginial workflow to check the due date and send email reminder, if due. Let me know if you are interested in something like this and I can illustrate it a bit further for you. You can run into a few issues if your original workflow has additional actions (like setting the reminder due date) but you can get around these easily.

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:01 PM
  • thanks for the reply,

can you please evaluate further of what you did to make this work, i really need to get this working and currently im not able to fix the issue =/ thanks

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Of course! I used the normal task list columns (Title, Assigned To, Due Date, etc.) and you will need to  create two additional columns - a Yes/No choice column called "Reminder Date Set" and set the default to no and a Date/Time column called "Reminder Date". Then create a new Workflow called Task List WF that starts on creation of a new item. The first step will check to make sure the reminder date hasn't already been set and if it hasn't then set the reminder date. 

Your first step should be:

Condition: If Reminder Date Set equals No
    Action: Add -3 days to Due Date (Output to Variable: newDueDate) --> Note: You will need to create a Date/Time Variable called newDueDate
    then Set Reminder Date to Variable: newDueDate
    then Set Reminder Date Set to Yes

Your second step should be:

Condition: If Reminder Date equals Today
    Action: Send Email notification
    Condition: Else if Reminder Date not equal to Today
    Action: Start Another workflow called Task List WF Loop

Select Finish to save and validate this workflow.

Next create a new workflow called Task List WF Loop with no intiations (doesnt need to start on item creation or change).

Your 1 and only step will be:

Condition: None
    Action: Pause for 23 hrs and 55 minutes
    then start another workflow called Task List WF

That should do it! Let me know if you need any additonal help.

Also, note that this is accomplished using SharePoint Designer.

• Edited by jcliffordtx Monday, September 12, 2011 9:17 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:13 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

im still not getting the reminder email, ive set the due date to e.g 27th Sept 2011 it shows me 24th Sept as the reminder date but it doesnt email any reminder to the given email...and secondly can you please evalute why are we pausing the workflow ?

thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:07 AM
  • If you have set the due date to 09/27 and the reminder shows 09/24, the email reminder will not go out until 09/24. If you create a new task and set the due date to 09/17 then the reminder date will be set to 09/14 (which is today) and should go out. The reminder email will not go out until the Reminder Date = Today.

The pause is put in there so that the Task Workflow and Loop do not continue to run all day, everyday until your Reminder Date=Today. It isn't necessary for it to continuously run but best for it to run once per day.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi jcliffordtx,

I am trying the workflow logic which you gave above. However not able to get it clear properly.

Can you please help me more elaborative plz.

soupau

Monday, July 01, 2013 1:57 PM