none
Content Migration or Restoration of UserProfile App Service to New

    Question

  • Anyone know how to properly rebuild a jacked up UserProfile Application Service so that the existing social data, etc is restored to a clean UserProfile Service Application?  I'm attempting to utilize the Replication Engine Toolkit but having no luck.

    (I don't want to overload you with why this needs to be done, just need some ideas of how to retain the existing UserProfile content)

    Thanks in Advance.

    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:39 PM

Answers

  • Fixed my problem.

    Referencing the blog here http://blog.mikehacker.net/2010/07/28/sharepoint-2010-restoreuser-profile-service-error/

    I deleted the service application (keeping the data) and attempted the powershell command to create a new userprofile service application while attaching the existing databases.  This worked on our test environment (which didn't have the sync problems we had on production), but when I ran it on production, the following error returned:

    "The specified database is not a valid synchronization database"

    This supported the idea that the UserProfile Service Application's Sync process was indeed "jacked up".  To rectify this issue, I simply did not include the switch to reference the existing sync database (in the powershell command).  By doing so, a new Sync database was created.  At this point, I was able to start the Profile Synchronization service on one of the SP Servers and then able to create new connections to our AD Forest.  Resolved my issue and kept all of the social content and the user's profile data (the intent).

    Thx

    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, November 19, 2010 7:58 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:33 PM

All replies

  • You don't want to overload us with the whys and wheres etc but it would be handy to elaborate on "jacked up".  If it's an issue with corruption then a simple restore probably wouldn't help.


    PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @redmantauk MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Fixed my problem.

    Referencing the blog here http://blog.mikehacker.net/2010/07/28/sharepoint-2010-restoreuser-profile-service-error/

    I deleted the service application (keeping the data) and attempted the powershell command to create a new userprofile service application while attaching the existing databases.  This worked on our test environment (which didn't have the sync problems we had on production), but when I ran it on production, the following error returned:

    "The specified database is not a valid synchronization database"

    This supported the idea that the UserProfile Service Application's Sync process was indeed "jacked up".  To rectify this issue, I simply did not include the switch to reference the existing sync database (in the powershell command).  By doing so, a new Sync database was created.  At this point, I was able to start the Profile Synchronization service on one of the SP Servers and then able to create new connections to our AD Forest.  Resolved my issue and kept all of the social content and the user's profile data (the intent).

    Thx

    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, November 19, 2010 7:58 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Hi Millertime78, you saved my day. I deleted the Office Location in CA en therefore I was not able to open the My Site. I was able to re-create the profile service application following this thread. One remark > this all can be done without powershell plus IIS reset. Re-creating the user profile services and using all the same configuration settings (except for the Sync DB, I used Sync DB2) and the profile services works again and I'm able to HIDE the Office Location property (instead of deleting it!).
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:47 PM