none
Unable to apply KB2585233 on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server, says its "Not Applicable".

Question

• I am running Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 and trying install KB2585233.  The patch says it is for that server, but has to be running SP1.  Which I am.  It is a physical server, not VM or a Hyper-V client.  It comes up with an error "The update is not applicable to your computer".  I have tried running it from command line as admin.  It still comes with that error. 

If you look in the Event viewer for setup:

Windows update could not be installed because of error 2149842967 "" (Command line: ""c:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "c:\windows6.1KB2585233-X64.msu"    ")

I looked up 2149842967 and looked it up, however those results did not fit my situation really.  

I am not sure what I am missing.  I meet the requirements, but it is still not able to make it work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rick

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Rick,

Regarding to the error message, Error 2149842967 is 0x80240017 in hexadecimal. It seems to indicate that hotfix is not applicable to the computer. However, your server version fits the system requirement of this hotfix.

Based on current situation, please open C:\Windows\System32 folder and navigate to win32k.sys file. And right click it and select Properties. Then please compare file version if the win32k.sys file in computer is earlier than the file in hotfix. Just check.

Meanwhile, please perform a clean boot in Windows, and then check if install the hotfix successfully in clean boot.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by Slate1974 Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:38 AM

All replies

• I just installed it no problem here on 2008 R2 SP1

Hotfix also shows as installed update.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:08 AM
  • Very weird.  I tried it on another server and I am prompted to install it as normal.  Both are SP1  The one which works, is not running Citrix, and the ones I want to install it on is running Citrix with remote desktop services installed.  Not sure why that would matter.   I keep getting the same thing on those citrix servers.  Not sure if there is a prereq that is not mentioned...?
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:36 PM
  • If it's not already installed it may have been superseded.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Regarding to the error message, Error 2149842967 is 0x80240017 in hexadecimal. It seems to indicate that hotfix is not applicable to the computer. However, your server version fits the system requirement of this hotfix.

Based on current situation, please open C:\Windows\System32 folder and navigate to win32k.sys file. And right click it and select Properties. Then please compare file version if the win32k.sys file in computer is earlier than the file in hotfix. Just check.

Meanwhile, please perform a clean boot in Windows, and then check if install the hotfix successfully in clean boot.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by Slate1974 Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:38 AM
  • Justin,

That was a good tip!  The patch shows 6.1.7601.21819, and I am currently running 6.1.7601.22525

So my version is newer, and wont downgrade, which makes sense. 

Thanks for the info.

So does that mean the fix is supposedly already in there?

• Edited by Slate1974 Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:21 PM
  • Yes probably superseded.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:27 AM