none
MDT 2012 install with 2 partitions

Question

• I have the following scenario:

Currently in our company all most of the computer have 2 partitions. One partition for the OS, and the 2nd for data. I have MDT2012 and Windows 8. When I reload a pc with 2 partitions, I only want to format the OS partition, which I am able to do at the moment. I use WMI queries and task sequence variables to check if 2 partitions exist, then only format the OS partition and leave the 2nd partition alone. When I however only format the OS partition, only the OS gets installed and then the deployment does not continue. I do not get any error msg, it just seems that after the OS install it does not know where to get the files to continue the MDT deployment.

If I format both partition the deployment continue without any problems.

I am in desperate need of some advice.

Thank you in regards.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:26 AM

All replies

• you mean it won't continue after it has rebooted?

i would suggest looking at your task sequence and check if every folder is in the correct place.

for example that it won't be that it skips over tasks because of your task sequence variable rules apply to things they should not apply to.

one thing i always recommend even if you don't get any error is check your logs to see if you can find out what happened or why it the deployment won't continue.

last i think a refresh scenario does exactly that without the added logic? it usually starts in the life OS and only installs over the OS and leaves other partitions alone.

might be something to check out.

hope any of these suggestions will help.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:28 AM
  • you mean it won't continue after it has rebooted?

i would suggest looking at your task sequence and check if every folder is in the correct place.

for example that it won't be that it skips over tasks because of your task sequence variable rules apply to things they should not apply to.

one thing i always recommend even if you don't get any error is check your logs to see if you can find out what happened or why it the deployment won't continue.

last i think a refresh scenario does exactly that without the added logic? it usually starts in the life OS and only installs over the OS and leaves other partitions alone.

might be something to check out.

hope any of these suggestions will help.

That correct, it loads Win 8 and after the reboot it boots into the start screen and just stop there. I checked my task sequence and don't find anything strange. Like I said, when I format both partitions the deployment completes without any problems.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Anyone any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:20 PM
  • did you check your log files to see if you can find out what is going on?

and did you try using a refresh scenario yet instead of a newcomputer scenario like i suggested?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Any specific log files I should like at? Sorry i'm fairly new to MDT.
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:56 AM
  • I look in BDD.log and smsts.log and cant find anything related to the build just stopping after the reboot! I need to get this solved today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:36 AM
  • I did the refresh scenario (I run the litetouch.vbs from my USB Media from within Windows and the deployment completed. I could however only join a workgroup, if I tried to join a domain it gave a msg that the network path was not found and that my credentials were invalid.

I still cant figure out why the deployment stop after the Os install if I only format the boot partition.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Do you have access to the network after the deployment has completed ? Try an Ipconfig /all and check if you have an IP adress. Sounds like a NIC driver issue to me.
    Monday, February 04, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Yes I do have network connection. Also take note that I deploy from USB media and not from a server.
    Monday, February 04, 2013 9:06 AM